It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH

Old 5th November 2004, 15:37   #141
BeBopLoco

UPDATED BIOS ON CHAINTECH SITE

FYI, Chaintech posted a new updated V.7 BIOS on their website. See http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/D...asp?DISNo=637.

Suppose to address Xp SP2 issues?
Old 5th November 2004, 19:50   #142
Kerry

Thanks jmke and BeBopLoco, especially for the updated bios. Wouldn't it be interesting if the new bios fixed the "Any Key" problem?

Yes, both front ports work, it's that the top port would not recognized a 1.1 USB device (my scanner). I switched to the lower port and it works. My USB keyboard works in both top and bottom.

Chaintech emailed that if the new powersupply doesn't fix the "Any Key" booting problem that they would RMA the MOBO. That feels very good.

Question: If I replace the MOBO will I have to reformate my two Serial ATA (configured for RAID 0) drives? Or, will it be a simple plug them in and reboot.

I'm leaning towards that it could be the PS. Now when I press the power-on button on the front of the case the PC starts to start and then stops completely and then in two seconds resumes a successful boot. Another setting that recently has consistently reverted to default is the Energy star display during the bios routine. I select "Do not display" and it doesn't display for a few boots and then it appears again.

BTW: I ordered a Antec True 480. I discovered that NewEgg has joined most other vendors in charging $27.50 for shipments to Hawaii so I had to find a another vendor. ergo another brand of PS.

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 5th November 2004, 20:12   #143
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

You are apt to lose the RAID0 setup; I'd never use it to store any valuable data to begin with
Old 5th November 2004, 21:41   #144
Kerry

Boy 'O boy, thanks for the heads up.

I'm working on trying to get Norton's 2003 Ghost to Ghost my C: (my RAID O) to a new external USB drive. It goes ok until I reboot and press option 1) Proceed with Ghosting, and nothing happens. Only option 2) Boot to Windows works. Ugh. I do have the USB options in BIOS all enabled. The USB (G) drive shows on my desk top and I am able to drag a file to it.

Have I sufficiently communicated how much I value having you as a resource here? : I see now that my understanding of PC's was simply not enough to build a PC, but now that I have it I sure am enjoying its speed. I have a real sense that I'll be able to keep it running for years by simply replacing broken parts.

I'm also assuming that you are native to Belgian and so I'm impressed with your command of English. I don't know what the native tongue is in Belgium.

BTW: Nearly 50% of us Americans are absolutely dismayed and embarrassed about the election results. This brand of "freedom" is very costly to one's experience of personal integrity. I simply dread the thought that I can no longer sit back and let others be in charge. No doubt I'm mirroring the complacency of thousands of Europeans at the very beginning of WWII. It's very scary. It's so very challenging to communicate effectively.
Old 5th November 2004, 21:58   #145
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
I'm working on trying to get Norton's 2003 Ghost to Ghost my C: (my RAID O) to a new external USB drive. It goes ok until I reboot and press option 1) Proceed with Ghosting, and nothing happens. Only option 2) Boot to Windows works. Ugh. I do have the USB options in BIOS all enabled. The USB (G) drive shows on my desk top and I am able to drag a file to it.
the BIOS supports USB memory sticks afaik but USB drives for booting? not sure. the easiest would be to hook up a HDD to one of the none-raided IDE ports; boot with ghost floppy and dump the image from RAID0 array onto that temporary drive. if you don't have a drive lying around, then it's not cost effective at all.
in that case I would copy all data to the USB drive in Windows and try your best to see if the RAID0 array holds after a mobo switch. worst case scenario you lose few hours of windows reinstall vs extra cost for HDD.

try "Genie Backup" to .. backup (duh) all your windows config (IE favourites, Outlook, Fonts, etc) to one compressed file. restore is super easy.

Quote:
Have I sufficiently communicated how much I value having you as a resource here? : I see now that my understanding of PC's was simply not enough to build a PC, but now that I have it I sure am enjoying its speed. I have a real sense that I'll be able to keep it running for years by simply replacing broken parts.
welcome to the PC-Geek domain

Quote:
I'm also assuming that you are native to Belgian and so I'm impressed with your command of English. I don't know what the native tongue is in Belgium.
Native tongue is Dutch, French and German in Belgium, and almost 50% understand/speak English too. In Brussels, the capital, you have the head offices of the European Commission; at work I know have colleagues with a total of 20+ different languages; quite challening, their English accents are

My mother tongue is Dutch, my girlfriend speaks French, at work I speak English

Quote:
BTW: Nearly 50% of us Americans are absolutely dismayed and embarrassed about the election results. This brand of "freedom" is very costly to one's experience of personal integrity. I simply dread the thought that I can no longer sit back and let others be in charge. No doubt I'm mirroring the complacency of thousands of Europeans at the very beginning of WWII. It's very scary. It's so very challenging to communicate effectively.
a sad day indeed; check 1st to none-sticky threads in this forum http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=18
Old 5th November 2004, 22:59   #146
Kerry

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 7th November 2004, 01:31   #147
Kerry

The newest BIOS, 10/18/04 did not fix my "Any Key" boot problem, so, I've got a new powersupply coming that I hope will do the trick.

In the meantime, I have some time to finally get around to testing the Chaintech Multimedia card. I've been using the built-in sound (port next to the Ethernet) through stereo speakers. I plugged the stereo speakers into all four Mutimedia ports and nada (CENTER/BASS, Sur L/R, Alt L/R, SPDIF OUT).

I looked in Device manager and it shows that the Envy24 Family Audio Controller has a Microsoft driver 5.12.1.3631 3/22/04. So I downloaded the latest driver from Chaintech (3.10b) and clicked "Setup." It looked like something was happening but when the PC restarted the driver was still the older MS one. Then from device manager I clicked Upgrade Driver and selected the WinXP folder in the VIA folder as the location and got a message saying "Cannot continue, can't find a better...."

There must be some trick to upgrading drivers?

Thanks,

Kerry

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 7th November 2004, 01:33   #148
Kerry

PS. About the Multimedia Card. The red light is on indicating it's getting power.—Kerry
Old 7th November 2004, 01:47   #149
Madshrimp

"Cannot continue, can't find a better...."

means either that:
a) you already have the latest drivers (or more recent then the ones you are trying to install)
b) the chosen location does not contain a valid driver

for the riser cards which comes with the 9CJS you do not need other drivers
Old 7th November 2004, 08:41   #150
Kerry

I thought the reason no sound was coming out was because it had the MS driver. So, if as you say I don't need Chaintech's Envy24... 's newest driver v 3.10b dated 7/6/04 then I'm stuck as to what else no sound could be.

I should be getting streaming audio from at least one of those ports on the Multimedia card, yes?

Thanks,

Kerry