It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
AMD Optimal BIOS settings + Overclocking Guide AMD Optimal BIOS settings + Overclocking Guide
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AMD Optimal BIOS settings + Overclocking Guide

Old 1st November 2003, 02:27   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default AMD Optimal BIOS settings + Overclocking Guide

Marci shows you how to get the most out of your AMD system, whether is it for top speed during everyday usage or top scores in popular benchmarks!

Quote:
You'll spend one day getting the best CPU Mhz you can. Another day devoted to getting a screencap of the best Mem Bandwidth you can. Another day getting the highest 3DMark score you can, another day getting the fastest HardDrive transfer rates you can.... screencaps of the lot, post 'm in the forums, let the fans worship & adore you (until they beat you!!). Hardcore overclockers spend weeks devoted to bettering each individual score, and then when they've got the best scores they can, they sell off that component and try to find one that'll do even better... On and on we go...
http://www.madshrimps.be/gotohowto.php?howtoID=43
Old 2nd November 2003, 02:46   #2
Unregistered

I have an AMD 855 mhz cpu with a Jabil AMD R4 Motherboard. I was wondering if there is a program able to OC them (my bios does not support it) and their optimal settings.
Old 2nd November 2003, 02:54   #3
Madshrimp

Is this a GateWay PC?
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...000646nv.shtml

most OEM computer system have very low support for overclocking through the BIOS (*read: none*)

You could try to look for an older tweak software called "SoftFSB", it is no longer supported or developed, but it supported some older motherboards (VIA KT133), but I'm not sure if it will support yours.
Old 2nd November 2003, 03:30   #4
Unregistered

Yeah it is a Gateway(sux so much). I'm looking into building a new computer(can't wait). Thnx a lot.
Old 2nd November 2003, 06:38   #5
Unregistered

Appartently(and Unfortunately) the "SoftFSB" doesn't support my Jabil motherboard. I'll go on to the next, which is my CPU. I need a program(bios doesn't work) to OC my AMD Thunderbird 850. I've been looking for awhile.
Old 2nd November 2003, 07:54   #6
Unregistered

I have a Barton 2500+ and am a little leery of OC ... although, I guess I'm here, reading.

I don't have a steady source of income, and the consulting I do does rely on this machine. However, my video gaming also relies on this machine, and I'm interested in better performance.

With the factory heatsink from AMD and an array of 6 fans for cooling, what level of danger is there in OCing a bit?

(Need validation ... heh.)
Old 2nd November 2003, 09:30   #7
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

just monitor the temperatures. While overclocking, on not too high voltages your CPU should stay under 50° C.

It will work on higher temps, but there is a big possibility for instability
Old 2nd November 2003, 11:41   #8
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
to OC my AMD Thunderbird 850. I've been looking for awhile.
you "could" paint the bridges on your Tbird to give it a higher multiplier, thereby overclocking your CPU without the need of any bios and/or software tool. But there is a much higher risk involved since you need to remove the CPU from the socket, use a carbon pencil to paint over the correct bridges and then hope you didn't make any false contacts.

If this is your only PC, I would NOT recommend this action however.

it is needles to say that cutting bridges on a CPU can destroy it

I suggest to only read this guide:
http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop...resistors.html

and when eventually you get to buy a new PC, try it out then on the old Tbird
Old 2nd November 2003, 21:06   #9
Unregistered

Thnx jmke you've been a great help, I've also located a good source on what different voltages(some or all with a different heatsink) on my T-Bird 850 will turn out. They did all the work, Overclockers.com is a good source.
Old 3rd November 2003, 14:35   #10
Avalon

This guide shouldn't be called AMD optimal bios settings. It only shows clockspeed/voltages/mem timings settings. There are other important bios options for a succesfull overclock.