It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
AMD Optimal BIOS settings + Overclocking Guide AMD Optimal BIOS settings + Overclocking Guide
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AMD Optimal BIOS settings + Overclocking Guide

Old 25th January 2004, 17:47   #41
kristos

Quote:
Originally posted by TeuS
the chipset voltage obviously controls ... the chipset voltage

when you seem to hit a wall in raising the FSB, and nothing works to raise the FSB (the CPU can't cope with the speed, higher vmem, looser timings) it's your chipset that can't keep up with the high FSB
And what about when I can't get a higher multiplier, does upping the chipset voltage help to obtain higher mulitplier? Or does this ONLY work when you can't get FSB higher and upping your ram voltage doesn't help?

Quote:
Originally posted by TeuS
that's the wrong way, sorry. there's nothing really wrong with raising the voltage from start, but start with the tightest timings. when you're raising the FSB and you can't get higher, then you have to loosen the timings to get higher. if you set your timings and voltage to the maximum right away, you don't know if it's your memory who's actually stopping you from raising the FSB because the voltage and timings are already at the maximum

most people prefer tight timings, so they start with tight timings. when their FSB is about at the limit with the highest timings, they loosen the timings to see if the FSB gets higher and to see if the FSB gain with looser timings is faster
Well, it said in the article: to find your tightest timings; raise the memory voltage to max. So I figured: If you get stuck, it's either timings holding you back in reaching higher FSB or it's the proc (,mobo?) that just can't take higher FSB's, but it's not because of the voltage because it's already at max.

Other than that it's just like you said, testing to see what FSB//RAM timings works best
Old 25th January 2004, 18:08   #42
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
not because of the voltage because it's already at max.
that your motherboard allows, if want to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of your ram you might want to raise it up to 3.2+v :grin:
Old 25th January 2004, 18:31   #43
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by kristos

And what about when I can't get a higher multiplier, does upping the chipset voltage help to obtain higher mulitplier? Or does this ONLY work when you can't get FSB higher and upping your ram voltage doesn't help?
raising the chipset voltage only helps when the chipset can't go any higher, and you really can't know if it's your memory, CPU (!) or mainboard stopping you from raising the FSB

e.g. most nforce² boards need a higher chipset (vdd) voltage to work above 210~220mhz FSB

Quote:
Originally posted by kristos

Well, it said in the article: to find your tightest timings; raise the memory voltage to max. So I figured: If you get stuck, it's either timings holding you back in reaching higher FSB or it's the proc (,mobo?) that just can't take higher FSB's, but it's not because of the voltage because it's already at max.
yep, that's right
Old 28th January 2004, 13:56   #44
kristos

When I try to reach my highest multiplier (166*XX; 177*XX;etc.), do I keep my memory on a 1:1 divider, do I keep it on it's standard Mhz (pc3200 @ 400Mhz), or does it make no difference at all in my quest for highest OC on multiplier?
Old 28th January 2004, 13:58   #45
TeuS

1:1 is usually the best choice
Old 28th January 2004, 14:38   #46
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

.. for performance is your memory is capable of the increased speeds
Old 29th January 2004, 00:31   #47
kristos

if I set the ram on a 1:1 divider it'll be running at lower then specified Mhz
That shouldn't be a problem.
Old 4th September 2005, 15:56   #48
Chiptek

Default Need more info

The guide is good but not specific enough can you clarify a couple of things for me?

1. You say about finding the max mhz which sounds easy enough however at which point should we stop raising the voltage? 1.9? i sure as heck aint raising the voltage on my 2600+ 333 t/bred to its maximum. So where should i stop ?

Also i noticed something really strange. I downloaded 3dmark 2001se and did the tests after each multiplier increase. Was doing great until i got to 13.5 and then it seemed as if the fps in the program wasnt picking up correctly and at the end the score was like only 6000 compared to teh 13385 when multiplier was at 13? what causes this

I have 1 gig dual ddr ram pc2700 cheapo stuff. and a radeon 9800 pro. My systsem is watercooled however the cpu temp reads 47 when multiplier is at 14 this good or bad?