It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Create your own Waterblock Create your own Waterblock
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Create your own Waterblock

Old 25th May 2005, 00:23   #111
djivesp

Cheers !
Im hoping to have the whole set-up running by the end of the week so ill post the details here then !!!

Making a plexi drive bay reservoir at the moment

More pics soon!
Old 25th May 2005, 21:10   #112
GIBSON

i just saw something interesting over here: http://www.a1-electronics.net/Heatsi...rsys_Mar.shtml
goes about installing a dual rad setup in a thermaltake kandalf, which seems to be really easy to do, without any clutter. anyhow i'm thinking about doing the same thing with the thermaltake armor i'm going to buy this summer, as they seem to be quite the same cases, just another front (or am i wrong here?) the 80mm seems to show quite some good performance if you read their review bout it

maybe an idea for you too?
Old 25th May 2005, 23:14   #113
djivesp

That seems like a good idea - thanks !!!

I have a little trick up me sleeve with my rads - maybe i should start a radiator thread ?

Mines a cheap £20 case (looks about £50's worth) lol, i have 2 toyota oil coolers with a 120mm fan sandwitched in between - gonna cut out the 3" hdd/fdd trays and have it so air is being pulled from one side of case to the other!

Thats another thing - the 80mm fan might be a little noisy full speed - thats a huge consideration for me, i dont no about you!

+btw the case looks goooorgeous!

if i had the money for one of those i would have never even needed to make my own blocks lol

+while im on here, i had a leak of my CPU block, thankfully not when it was inside my comp (PHEW) - after i replaced the screws :/ - NEVER use super glue on waterblocks - practical observation #1 :/ .... will need to screw&seal the side plates on :/ ...
SO - i opened it up again (with difficulty) and widened the channels with my dremel, making lots of little cuts on the pins and connecting some together, so the pump should be quieter - more flow less pressure and even more surface area - cannot be bad ...

temps, pics and all when i finish
Old 26th May 2005, 16:38   #114
GIBSON

well, i don't know if you read the review or not, but they mention in there that performance with lower rpm's on that rad isn't that much lower than with high rpms, and it's a good use of space, who would ever have enough hdd's to fill all of those racks in the armour case? (ok, i guess you could spread them to keep them cool, but still) and it's a nice addition to a 120mm rad placed below. I'm thinking bout buying a "corsair cool" kit, they seem pretty good and i might add that 80mm rad to it, anyhow tell me what you think (the kit seems pretty good priced too, you should check it out, and if i'm not mistaken most parts come from swiftech, just relabeled)
Old 1st June 2005, 23:59   #115
djivesp

Well its definately a good use of space with the 80mm rad, it looks nice too - looks quite efficient - in my opinion go for it !!!

As for the 'corsair cool' kit - it looks awesome - im just reading the review now - temps are decent - the pump looks like a good one (and 12V so no need for relay card), but only a cpu block - and looks nothing special - tubing looks quite narrow - though this can be an advantage as its more flexible and temps show that still overall it performs - i would say if you have the cash - go for it $200 definately seems good value!

As for my set-up - i managed to fit everything inside the case and running leak-free for about 2 days now. Temps vary quite abit - just experimenting with fans and stuff at the moment - so temps aren't concrete - pics and final data as soon as im finished !

as for now:
CPU overclocked to 2400mhz (1.85v core)
6800 overclocked to 415/890 (biosmodded for more volts - cant remember vcore)

CPU (load) gets to 47C
6800 (load) core to 50
CPU (idle) - 39C
6800 (idle) - 42C

These are fairly decent - will cut off a few C's when finished fan setup soon!
the thing looks awesome so far (note to self - buy more UV dye)
BTW - beat my 3Dmark03 record - 11088
Old 2nd June 2005, 16:53   #116
GIBSON

well, about the kit, i kinda thought the same thing, and about the tubing, i checked it and if i'm not mistaken the tubing matches that silverprop 80mm rad, so that's a good thing and i can add blocks to it if i want, actually i saw this interesting GPUblock from exos yesterday, it cools whole the card (yes, whole the card, you can't see anything from the card when it's installed) it uses some kind of special technique and it seems like the backside of the card is cooled by something looking like a bag where the water runs through, that way it nicely adjusts to the card.
and for my system that i'm going to build, i'm currently in a dillemma, i'm thinking bout either a 6800 or a 6800GT. The 6800 is reasonable in price and performance, but the 6800 comes with 16 pipelines while the "normal" 6800 only has 12. So a 6800GT could be clocked to a 6800 ultra.
Old 2nd June 2005, 17:02   #117
djivesp

That sounds like nothing ive heard of before - good idea!!!

As for the card - without stealing the thread - go for the GT and try to unlock the pipes/verts with rivatuner - you can get a GT upto an ultra no sweat (especially with watercooling)

My gainward 6800LE (LE that is lol - lowest one in the range £170 a few months ago) has unlocked from 8pipes to full 16 and from 4 verts to 6!!! - making it an Ultra without the Ultra clockspeeds (ok there was abit of luck involved) - biosmodded for more volts as i have watercooling, then overclocked - is now running as fast as a GT and nearly as fast as an ultra (i see more biosmodding in near future ) - SO dont bother with the Ultra - with your watercooling you could make a GT go Ultra speeds quite easily!

AND you would have much more potential to fully unlock the masked pipes/verts than i did !!!

Good luck!
Old 2nd June 2005, 17:09   #118
djivesp

Aah poo (note to self - start reading properly) i thought you were wandering wether GT or Ultra - well - same applies - theres hope the standard 6800 (NU) can fully unlock to 16/6, GT thought would have higher clock speeds - so - look at the price diff and decide for yourself - the 6800NU isnt that much slower than the GT and furthermore - the cards will be pushing your processor - if it is the 1.7Ghz as in your sig - that definately would be the limitation overall - so you propably wont see any difference between NU and GT

I have a mate with a athlon 1800 and a 6800 Ultra (yes ultra lol) - and my 3Dmark03 scores beating his even though my card is only a heavily tampered with LE!!!

Theres food for thought for you :P
Old 2nd June 2005, 19:56   #119
GIBSON

lol, of course i'm not going to use that weak 1.7Ghz, i'm talking about an A64 3500+ or maybe if i'd have enough cash a 3800+, but about the gfx cards, unlocking the 16 pipes doesn't always work right?
Old 3rd June 2005, 20:00   #120
djivesp

Nice - either of those processors should give you some sweet FPS!

As for the pipes - its not guaranteed - basically as far as i know the cards that come out of the production line that fail to show successful 16 pipes/6 verts get sold as the cut-down versions of the card (with further *defective* pipelines being 'hardware masked') - then RivaTuner can UNmask the pipelines and if youre lucky all the pipes will be fine and you will get much more oomph from the card, if youre unlucky then you will get artefacts in game and on-screen, in which case you can mask them again in RivaTuner! Theres a whole lotta stuff on the net about it so have a google around! Most people can unlock a few without any problems, very few people successfuly unlock all without any problems - i done some research and went for the Gainward card as i heard theyre one of the most unlockable cards and luck has it that it was the case !!! you might have more luck with a thread in other forum sections on this topic !!!