It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Create your own Waterblock Create your own Waterblock
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Create your own Waterblock

Old 4th May 2005, 16:06   #81
djivesp

hmmm......

i could definately try, but it looks like there is too little metal left lol, i could try redrilling the holes with a larger drill bit (therefore widening the gaps), but that has a tendency to 'catch' when there are sharp corners - with disastrous consequences - i nearly had one of the 'pins' bent out like this :/ ... now its just like passing water through a alu heatsink - only larger surface area of the fins ...

i might gather my courage, strap the block in tight and go for it, il see what happens

laters!
Old 4th May 2005, 16:55   #82
djivesp

LOL actually - the block is 15mm deep and acrylic is 10mm deep

Slight mis-measurement lol!
Old 4th May 2005, 19:40   #83
TeuS

great first block, it looks very well done. The performance won't be optimal, but that takes some time to improve... nonetheless, actually having a working block that looks great too is already a big achievement

if you're going to make more of these, try to optimze the flow a bit. and try to find some good-looking screws to keep it together.

I envy people with all the tools, I had to buy all my gear by myself (50euro drill press etc). today I drilled some holes at school with a way better drill press. I wish I could have used such great hardwarde (including a mill) to make my blocks back then
Old 5th May 2005, 10:56   #84
GIBSON

like Teus said, it is indeed a great first block, and nice temps for an alu one i must say, before i forget, congrats on the plexi, it's really nicely cut, geat idea, but indeed as Teus said too, a lot of people don't have the tools (or not that good ones) to make blocks by themself
Old 5th May 2005, 19:18   #85
djivesp

Cheers guys !

I was quite lucky to have been able to laser-cut the plexi, our school just bought the cutter a few weeks ago (£15000 ) - had to use my own time afterschool !

Now started making the northbridge block - totally un-restrictive this time (dont want too much heat being put in the loop either :/ ), basically a hole lol - with some drilled valleys to increase surface area +add abit of turbulence - should do the job!
Old 5th May 2005, 19:21   #86
GIBSON

well, most of the time a NB block is overkill, but it can't hurt i guess, i heard the NF4 NB can get pretty hot
Old 5th May 2005, 19:26   #87
wutske

Nice cpu block , hope those screws hold it till you replace it.
Also, very good temps for a first block on a 100w cpu.

I also think a NB block is overkill (max. 20w or so), but if it is that less restrictive, its fine (more water in the loop ).

R u also gonna make a vga block ???
Old 5th May 2005, 20:49   #88
djivesp

Thx - yeah - theres not much point in the NB block i guess, mainly making it for the looks - kinda hoping to get a higher FSB aswell as i cant unlock my multiplier :/ (15x)... mayb voltmod would help too ?

Anyway ! lol

Mine does get quite hot - well to the touch at least - anything better than the sucky alu heatsink thats on there i guess

And yes! im planning a block for my 6800le, just thinking at the mo wether go small&simple for mounting to the 4 holes around GPU, or make the block larger (+heavyer) to cool the ram too - using the holes all over the card :/ ... any suggestions ???

Ive upped the core by 0.2V to give me upto 410mhz stable on air (300mhz stock), gonna hopefully raise it close to 500 with higher-still vcore when its water-cooled

Ill certainly make sure it looks good hehe
Has anyone made any decent 6800 blocks here???
Old 5th May 2005, 21:10   #89
GIBSON

you'd be better of making a smaller block just for the core, and putting some ramsinks on the ram i think
Old 5th May 2005, 21:42   #90
djivesp

Cool - that seems like a sensible idea, i have ramsinks already so i guess the OC'ing will put them to good use

has anyone got any decent design ideas??
i was thinking a simple zig-zag channel:
http://upload.pio.be/jort/lakkewc/DSC03875.JPG

Anyone ?