It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Create your own Waterblock Create your own Waterblock
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Create your own Waterblock

Old 12th June 2005, 11:40   #141
djivesp

140W thats quite abit of heat lol!

Mind you my 6800's voltmodded so thats pushing out way more than it should
from 1.1V to 1.4V core i think (if i remember rightly)! Gonna check that out as soon as i get a floppy drive LOL!
As for the CPU - plannin on voltmodding my mobo for 2.05 volts and NB - that should give me around 2600mhz (with a helluva lot of heat!) at 174x15 (My CPU is multiplier locked )

+ im already using WaterWetter
that stuff stinks!!
Old 22nd June 2005, 03:30   #142
djivesp

Bump!

Well-update on the system:
Bios-modded my 6800le for 1.5Vcore
Also had to add a cut-up p150 heatsink onto the voltage regulators (nearly burnt my fingers when i touched them after i smelt something funny )+a 80mm fan at 5V - so i am estimating thats pushing out about 50W now, if not more - even the PCB is hot :/...

Voltmodded the mobo - found that the highest my multi the CPU will go is 166mhz stable - at 2.10Vcore, so bumped it down slightly to 165mhz, currently at juuust under 2.5ghz .

Sisoft Sandra thinks that at 2V my CPU pushes out about 95W, (its a bugger to get a correct reading:/ )so lets say 100W, and how much is a standard non volt-modded Northbridge put out? Around 30W??

So thats about 180W of heat im thinking, yet currently CPU temp is reading 41C (the diode), and at load i saw it at 54C - thats not bad for a aluminium-based system is it?

I wasnt quite happy with the water temps though, around 10C higher than ambient - i dont think there is enough air getting through the sandwitched rads:'( - SO - another block in the making - a peltier chiller! i got 3 cheap 30W pelts, gonna put them side to side, use a large audio amplifier heatsink with some slow fans on it, hopefully should bring my temps down to ambient! Theres a (loaded) Delta of around 15C - between the water temp and the CPU temp, so if i bring my water temp down to ambient (~25C), it should mean that my CPU will be around 40C loaded (at 2.10 volts!). GPU temp is usually a few C's more than the CPU when loaded.

Watch this space! - more block in the making
Old 22nd June 2005, 06:21   #143
TeuS

in my setup back then my water temps were also pretty high, I don't know why either because my radiator was pretty good.
those 3 small TEC's wont make a big difference in temperature - only in noise and your power bill. though it's an idea if I start watercooling again, I've still got a lot of those small TECs lying around.

by the way, till when are you able to manufacture those blocks?
Old 22nd June 2005, 06:21   #144
wutske

Nice temps over there, but your cpu is even at almost 140w ! So you're probably above 200w of heat.
I'm not sure if the pelt chiller is going to work, I've already seen a guy that used 1 120w pelt and he only got 1°c cooler. But maybe the 3 pelts are better because of the higher surface area.
Old 22nd June 2005, 14:17   #145
djivesp

200W hehe

About the pelts, i did have major doubts, ive also read through some project logs&stuff&it seemed pointless, but then i thought the temperature delta of my TECS is 67C, so if i use a huge heatsink for all 3 (attatched to the back of the case), the temps of the cold side should be quite low, backed up by the large surface area (as theyre 30x30mm, the waterblock will be 90x30mm - long&thin for large contact with water), they should be putting up a fight! ...
I dunno, i bought these really cheap so i thought ill have some fun :grin:

Well, i have just finished 6th form&doing my last exam tomorrow, so officially im not their student anymore, but i know the design&technology teachers&theyre used to the annoying&pestering little me ... so ill probably be making blocks till they kick me out of the workshop

TeuS i will be VERY interested to see the HDD configuration you were talking about, it sounds awesome
Old 22nd June 2005, 16:57   #146
GIBSON

Quote:
Originally posted by djivesp

TeuS i will be VERY interested to see the HDD configuration you were talking about, it sounds awesome
?
Old 22nd June 2005, 19:27   #147
djivesp

*shock horror*

i just found out that the readings that i was getting for CPU temps were actually from the probe in the socket, and not the CPU core *swears at MBM*

Slight dissapointment, as the actual core temps are around 8-12C more under load - at the moment theyre the same :wtf:

Just remembered though, that i didnt finish the surfaces very well, so in the next few days i will take everything apart and lap the blocks good and proper !
Old 22nd June 2005, 20:33   #148
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by GIBSON

?
a waterblock to cool 3-5 hard drives, that gets surrounded with isolation to make the drives noiseless
Old 23rd June 2005, 16:18   #149
GIBSON

Quote:
Originally posted by TeuS

a waterblock to cool 3-5 hard drives, that gets surrounded with isolation to make the drives noiseless
nice, it will raise your temps a lot though i think, or am i mistaken?
Old 27th June 2005, 22:55   #150
djivesp

Hi guys!!

Right - now as i have more time ive been able to mess around with the system and achieved:

load CPU probe (prime95) - 50C
load socket - 48C
Load 6800 core - 55C

The CPU is at 2.11V, GPU is at 1.5V

idle CPU probe - 48C
idle socket - 38C
idle 6800 core - 44C

so the system is running at 2511mhz (with my multiplier locked at 15x)

Developments:

> lapped the surface of the CPU block;
> re-seated&regreased the block - before i saw the core temp peak out at 75C just before it crashed, now its 50C at prime load
> cut a big rectangular hole at the top of case
> split up my fan/rad sandwich and put one rad where the PSU was - blowing air up - this cut the water temp by about 8C's
> blew up my 600w psu somehow...
> 1.5Vcore for the 6800 ment that FET's were toasting, so put a heatsink on with a home-made clip&fan blowing on it
> put a 80mm fan blowing on the mobo FET's and caps - more stable core voltage!
> now running 6800, HDD, fans, CD-drive of an old 200W AT PSU,
and mobo off a 350W one, so the case is sitting on-top of 2 PSU's - so voltages now nice&stable

lol

Well - mission accomplished

thank you for following

on the way - the pelt block i was talking about