It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Intel Yonah Performance Preview - Part I: The Exclusive First Look at Yonah Intel Yonah Performance Preview - Part I: The Exclusive First Look at Yonah
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Intel Yonah Performance Preview - Part I: The Exclusive First Look at Yonah

Old 30th November 2005, 16:49   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Intel Yonah Performance Preview - Part I: The Exclusive First Look at Yonah

Intel, oh Intel, how uninteresting your processors have been to us for so long now. Where have the days of the Northwood gone? Prescott brought us a minor bump in clock speed, minor increases in performance, and more importantly - major increases in power bills. But if any company can go down the wrong path for five years and still come out on top, it’s Intel. So starting next year, we’ll start seeing a new Intel. A more power conscious Intel and to kick it all off will be Intel’s first Earth-friendly dual core processor: Yonah.

As the successor to the current Pentium M (Dothan) and the predecessor to next year’s Conroe, Merom and Woodcrest cores, Yonah is a very important chip. As a mobile processor Yonah will bring dual core to thin and light notebooks, basically anywhere you’d find a Pentium M, you’ll now be able to find two Pentium Ms. The implications for mobile performance are huge, as multitasking on notebooks has rarely been all that great of an experience. At the same time, Yonah is so much more than just a dual core mobile processor - it’s a predictor of the performance of Intel’s next-generation desktop micro-architecture. Sure, it won’t have all of the architectural bells and whistles that we’ll see when Conroe debuts at the end of next year, but it’ll have many and that makes it a reference point.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2627