It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
OS install prob OS install prob
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OS install prob
Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2002, 13:11   #1
Corax

OS install prob

howdy,

A friend of mine had an very strange install prob. Here's the deal:

1. He wants to install XP with a windoze 98 bootdisk => error in DOS

2. He wants to install XP with the 6 windoze XP bootdisks=> the system hangs after the last bootdisk (the screen just turns black )

3. So I said, let's install my windoze XP with a norton ghost bootdisk => we followed the normal instructions on the screen, and after we selected 'partition - from image' he couldn't find the two partitions?? He only saw one partition?? (he has two partitions - both FAT32)

So I'm kind of stuck here people: installing an OS with the bootdisks doensn't work, and ghost doens't seem to see all the partitions? two different problems

If you know anything that might help, don't hesitate to tell me

note: he *doesn't* want to install win98 first, and then install XP over it, he wants a clean install of windows XP.

Old 9th August 2002, 00:13   #2

Jay-Jay Freshly Registered

Can you give the errorcode?
And just try a /checkupgradeonly and see if there's a major hardware incompability regarding the HCL list
Old 9th August 2002, 10:39   #3
Corax

the error code was something like: 'This program cannot be run in DOS' (or something like that)

but I forgot to mention that he already had some problems with his Maxtor, could it be that a f*cked HD causes all these problems?

and another solution is to combine the two partitions again, but he loses 2000 mp3's then (and he didn't make a back-up )

Closed Thread