It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
9cjs resetting CMOS question 9cjs resetting CMOS question
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

9cjs resetting CMOS question
Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2005, 12:08   #1
Kerry

Default 9cjs resetting CMOS question

I received and installed my second RMA'd 9cjs MOBO.

I now have a RAID1 configuration with XP Pro and all's well except that once again I'm unable to boot using "Any Key."

The alst time this happend Chaintech's trouble shooting advice for this problem included selecting "Optimize..." in the BIOS and also resetting the CMOS.

Can I reset the CMOS jumper without losing my RAID1 or any hard drive data? I sure as heck don't want to have to reinstall everything again.

Thank you,

Kerry

Old 27th May 2005, 12:11   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

with RAID1 both your drives contain an exact copy of each other, even when you move them between PC's with different RAID controllers you won't lose data
Old 27th May 2005, 12:28   #3
Kerry

Just so I don't make a stupid mistake. I can move the CMOS jumper pin to the other setting for five seconds and then back and it won't do anything to my hard drives? I'm so darned tired of reinstalling and reformatting everything. I need to be able to tell Chaintech that I've reset the CMOS.

Thank you,

Kerry

Old 27th May 2005, 12:46   #4
Madshrimp

Hey Kerry, you might need to recreate the RAID array, but since you have RAID-1 you won't lose any data.

but I'm not sure this will happen, I think the RAID array info is saved even when you reset the BIOS.
Old 27th May 2005, 21:37   #5
Kerry

Boy that sure sounds risky.

I'll drop a line to Chaintech just to be sure.

Thanks,

Kerry

Old 28th May 2005, 02:09   #6
Madshrimp

there is no way you can lose data, only thing your "risk" doing is having to recreate the RAID1 array, but since both disk contain an exact copy of each other your data will always be kept
Old 28th May 2005, 02:29   #7
Kerry

Is there a way to verify that both disks of my RAID1 are the same? As it is I only see a C: drive on my desktop but I do see, the RAID1 during BIOS booting, and, via Devices, I see the two Raptor hard drives (0 & 1). Still, for me it's a risk messing with things. I do have a Ghost of C: on my D: but I've never had to use it (in other words, I don't know how to use Ghost if I had to restore C.

Thank you,

Kerry

Old 5th July 2005, 01:08   #8
Kerry

No word from Chaintech after 3 weeks with several followups.

Problem:

Everything is working fine with the two Raptors as RAID1 (XP Pro) The RAID1 is C:\ (37.2 GB)

My second hard drive, D: is 80 GB and it works fine except that in Propeties it shows that it's 40 GB.

Prior to RMA'ing the MOBO the second time the RAID0 drive was named K:\ (no idea how it happened but I was living with it) and the WD80GB drive was partitioned into C & D (40GB each)

In Devices, WD80 shows that it's an 80 GB drive.

When I boot using the XP Pro CD so as to format D: there is no drive to select.

No doubt I have something not selected correctly in the BIOS.

Any suggestions?

Kerry

PS: I tried starting without the WD80 HDD connected to the MOBO but it messed with my normal RAID1 C: boot. Got scared and plugged it back in.

I tried removing the driver and booting and letting XP Pro install the driver fresh, but same results.

Closed Thread