It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
SLI on Life Support on the AMD Platform: Oh SNAP! SLI on Life Support on the AMD Platform: Oh SNAP!
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SLI on Life Support on the AMD Platform: Oh SNAP!

Old 20th June 2009, 07:39   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default SLI on Life Support on the AMD Platform: Oh SNAP!

Without sitting in on top secret meetings at NVIDIA, all we can do is speculate about why NVIDIA has moved away from providing chipsets for the AMD market. It seems very strange that they would let go of the impressive marketshare numbers that they once commanded, as well as the brand loyalty a lot of people have shown NVIDIA. I am sure many of us know users and consumers who will not go with an Intel based CPU, but do not want to touch any AMD chipsets or video cards because they have this brand loyalty to NVIDIA products. And certainly I know more than my fair share of users who are seriously unhappy with the southbridge performance on current AMD based chipsets. While NVIDIA has not had a sterling record when it comes to issues with SATA corruption, their overall performance often makes up for a handful of users that have actually experienced the problem.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=1
Old 20th June 2009, 08:14   #2
wutske

Actualy very sad because nVidia was the only one providing descent chipsets for the AMD platform .
Old 22nd June 2009, 03:22   #3
Kougar

Was by their choice... not a very smart business decision. Incredibly stupid one since they appear to have no license to build LGA1156 or even LGA1366 platforms, something they should have confirmed or made sure of before jumping AMD's ship.

Even more stupid, because NVIDIA is in talks with Global Foundries as a viable source for fabbing future GPUs. If they are going to "pay" AMD to fab their GPU's, then doesn't make much sense to refuse to indirectly pay AMD to sell their CPU platforms.
Old 22nd June 2009, 06:03   #4
[M] Reviewer

Massman Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutske View Post
Actualy very sad because nVidia was the only one providing descent chipsets for the AMD platform .
Where did you get that from? 790FX and 790GX is much better than any other Nvidia chipset
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:06   #5
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
Where did you get that from? 790FX and 790GX is much better than any other Nvidia chipset
You should look at the older nForce series. If you leave out the nFore1 and the first nForce3 chipset, all of them were the best chipsets available and nVidia spent a lot of time (and probably money too) to continuously develop the nForce platform. The only thing nVidia changed to it's ~1,2 year old 780 was the support for AM3 and changing the modelnumber to 980 .
Same goes for the 790FX, it's 1,5 year old and they've only added AM3 support to it ...

But there's a bright side too; you don't need to buy a new motherboard if you buy a new CPU, that's in my humble opinion the biggest downside about Intel CPUs. I realy liked the SocketA days. 1 socket to rule them all ! Guess it's now something like 1 chipset to rule them all
Old 24th June 2009, 05:47   #6
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutske View Post
But there's a bright side too; you don't need to buy a new motherboard if you buy a new CPU, that's in my humble opinion the biggest downside about Intel CPUs. I realy liked the SocketA days. 1 socket to rule them all ! Guess it's now something like 1 chipset to rule them all
Socket A was around for 3 years before it was bumped by 754... LGA775 has been around for 3 years, more if you do not count the VRM change with Core 2 Duo's launch before it will get bumped by LGA1156.

I'm just waiting to see what socket Sandy Bridge will utilize...