It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Intel announces new 8th-gen U- and Y-series CPUs Intel announces new 8th-gen U- and Y-series CPUs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Intel announces new 8th-gen U- and Y-series CPUs

Old 30th August 2018, 07:54   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Intel announces new 8th-gen U- and Y-series CPUs

New Whiskey Lake-U and Amber Lake-Y CPUs

Intel has now officially announced its new 8th Generation Whiskey Lake (U-series) and Amber Lake (Y-series) CPUs which should be coming to notebooks and other devices at the IFA 2018 show, currently held in Berlin, Germany.

To no-one's surprise, Intel is branding these new parts as the 8th generation, as, according to the company, these fit in the same part of the market, but come with minor updates, including a new chipset, which has integrated 802.11ac, native USB 3.1 support and more.

Each lineup features a total of three SKUs, so the Whiskey Lake U-series will have two quad-core SKUs, the Core i7-8565U and the Core i5-8265U, both with enabled Hyper-Threading and 15W TDP. The third SKU in the lineup is the Core i3-8145U SKU, a dual-core CPU with enabled Hyper-Threading and the same 15W TDP.

Of course, these are similar to the earlier introduced 8th Generation Kaby Lake Refresh parts but Kaby Lake Refresh comes with better IGP with eDRAM.

The Amber Lake Y-series also comes with three SKUs, but this time, these are all dual-core parts with Hyper-Threading and the same 5W TDP. It includes the Core i7-8500Y, Core i5-8200Y, and the m3-8100Y.

As far as the chipset goes, Intel made some rather neat minor updates, including native USB 3.1, which means that OEMs will no longer need a third-party controller, as well as integrated 802.11ac WiFi.

According to Intel's own comparison with the Core i5-4200U, the new generation brings up to 2x better overall performance, over 16hrs of battery life, up to 10.5x faster video transcoding, up to 1.8x better web performance, up to 12x faster WiFi, and more.

There will be plenty of notebooks and probably some 2-in-1 devices with these new chips and it is a good bet that we will see some of them in future Apple notebooks, which could be coming in the near future.

https://fudzilla.com/news/pc-hardwar...-y-series-cpus
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote