It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Coronavirus Testing Follow-Up: Rapid Immunologic Testing Coronavirus Testing Follow-Up: Rapid Immunologic Testing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Coronavirus Testing Follow-Up: Rapid Immunologic Testing

Old 31st March 2020, 08:42   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Coronavirus Testing Follow-Up: Rapid Immunologic Testing

When I started writing my recent article on COVID-19 testing, I assumed that I would be doing a compare and contrast sort of article. Like many people, I assumed that the “gold standard” test would be the reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test that I described in some detail. And indeed it is, but it’s not without its problems, such as the lack of certified labs and the need for trained technicians to run the samples. I also assumed there would be another test, a simple serological test that could use antibodies to discern if there was an active or even a previous, resolved infection.

At the time I wrote the first article, I could find no indication of an immunologic test for COVID-19 (more specifically, a test for SARS-Cov-2, the virus that causes COVID-19). But almost as rapidly as the number of COVID-19 cases rises, the news changes, and it appears that simple, rapidly performed antibody tests are now or soon will be available. They likely won’t replace the gold standard RT-PCR test, but they do stand to be a game-changer for the front line providers and the victims of this disease. So it pays to take a quick look at immunoassays for infectious diseases, and learn how they work.
https://hackaday.com/2020/03/30/coro...logic-testing/
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote