It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Ocz El-pc3700 Ocz El-pc3700
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ocz El-pc3700
Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2003, 17:41   #1
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered
Default Ocz El-pc3700

I couldn't help noticing Liquid3D has a whopping 2.5GB of these "OCZ EL-PC3700" sticks. Are they really that good?

I remember OCZ only from scandals, rebadging bad ram 'n stuff, are they back on track and producing high quality stuff or not? Who has experience with these sticks and how high do they overclock?

Can they be bought anywhere in .eu?
Old 20th May 2003, 22:25   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I thought they were pretty expensive here
Old 21st May 2003, 06:31   #3
Liquid3D

I've probably followed the OCZ scandal from beginning to end. I won't go into it the entire story, becasue one could write a manuscript for an Industrial Espionage movie, but suffice it to say, I wouldn't have 2.5GB's of anything I didn't think was the best when I acquired it. I did get a good deal on it though, that I have to mention.

There are many stories behind OCZ, if anyone wants to hear the long version with links and names PM me. One rumor was OCZ wasn't manufacturing it's own DDR SDRAM, well who does? Those who started the rumor (Mr natural at Madonion) were adpet in exploiting the ignorance of the avreage end-user, and nudding enthusiast. The rumor contained enough truth, as to be easily misconstrued. OCZ in their describing manufacture, state they are "involved" in the manudfacuring process, by implementing certain criteria, this was misconstrued into their claiming to actually manufacture the chips themselves. An experienced enthusaist knows, the very best manufacturers Corsair, Kingston, Muskin, Twinmoss, etc. out-source their IC's from the few manufactuers who actually do own "fab" facilities. There's a handful of companies who manufacture thses IC's for the entire market; Samsung, Infineon, Hynix, Winbond, Micron, Hitachi, Hyndai, Nayna, Ramtron (with Fujitsu manufacture for Mushkin) and Mosel Vitelic (legally using Infineon fab tecnologies in it's Hinshu plant) Just about every manufacture we purchase memory from besides Samsung, basically assembles memory. Inititaly OCZ spec'd it's product line with Samsung, and more recently Winbond (used in 90% of Corsair and Twimos). Another rumor spread was OCZ sold overclocked memory, and at that time they did. As did everyone selling PC3200 almostn two years ago, because 5.0ns IC's weren't even being manufactured. So 6ns, and even 7ns IC's were overclocked using different methods, most being the SPD settings, and voltages. JEDEC only recently even accepted the DDR400 standard. The reason I came to OCZ's defense was my dislike towards ignorance. I had a lot of respect there was a company even selling PC3200, OCZ was the first!
I believe at the time I sort of on a crusade to find the integrity in life, rooting out dishonesty. Having purchased OCZ PC3200, and coming across OCZ's press release refuting the claims against them, I was convinced by the evidence they provided, which I verified. I was insulted by these accusations.
Irregardless OCZ never claimed to use "true DDR400" back then, because it wasn't available. Another reason I've used OCZ is due to the voltages. Read any review and you'll notice OCZ consistantly meets spec at 2.5VDIMM, and overclocks using only 2.6V. Other memories, even Corsair require up to 2.9V to meet spec. Low VDIMM is evidence of true 5.0ns IC's DDR433 (PC3500). I've found this to be consistant through the entire line.
Now if there were ever a time when OCZ could be "rebadging" memory it would be in the last few months, when they just recently claim full manufacturing from the wafer. See belowAnd in their press release they have announced partnership with D-Data This would certainly give them a foothold in the HsinChu Science-based Industrial Park of Taiwan, where 90% of the world's SDRAM wafer fab plants are located.

I will admit recently I discovered several of my PC3700 modules are not performing at 2-2-2-6 at 450MHz, I had to raise the latencies to 2-4-4-7 to reach 450MHz the other day, and although valtages remain down at 2.6V, this is dissapointing, considering defult for these EL-PC37oo modules is 466MHz.

Old 25th May 2003, 17:25   #4
Gigamoller

www.space-promotion.nl is selling OCZ sticks, though they're very expensive there uke:

Closed Thread