It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
New Graphics card (new system?) New Graphics card (new system?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Graphics card (new system?)
Closed Thread

Old 12th December 2008, 19:53   #1
kristos

Default New Graphics card (new system?)

Greetings and salutations Madshrimpers!

It's been a few years since I frequented this site and World of Warcraft stole me away from the hardware scene. Where there once was a time when I would have known what to buy and what not to buy I now find myself in need of some advice on this matter. And where better to ask it then here amirite?

I am looking for a new graphics card and perhaps a whole new core system altogether. When making suggestions please keep a few things in mind:
- good overclocking potential while remaining stable for every day use. I don't need some motherboard that only runs good when it feels like it or a cpu that has a 1 in 6 chance of being a good oc'er.
- readily available. Not some exotic graphics card that I need to import from Malaysia and have to wait half a year for.
- reasonably priced. I know that's all relative but usually the latest and gratest also costs an arm and a leg while the next best thing is already a lot more, you guessed it, reasonably priced Also another downside of being out of the scene for so long is that I don't know what is considered reasonably priced anymore. 200-300 € for a good cpu or motherboard and 500€ for a top end vidcard is what I'd expect to see 4 years ago but now? I haven't got a clue...

Now first things first. The graphics card. I'm getting artifacts in games and thought the graphics card isn't necessarily the culprit it usually is. I don't have any spare hardware I can switch out to be sure but it's not the system memory, I know that much.
Performance wise I'm thinking along the lines of a next best thing type of card. Basically so I end up with something that is still very good now and for some time to come but not the priciest of the lot.
Unless offcourse there is a new line of cards coming up in a couple of months (preferably no more then 1-2 months, 4 months at the most) in wich case a low budget gaming card will do.

On a side note I'm currently using an old 20 pin Antec PSU since I blew my (also old ) OCZ 24 pin up a few years ago and haven't bothered to try and fix it. I'm guessing this may also need upgrading?

Then on to the core components: Motherboard, CPU and Memory. Perhaps even a couple hard disks.
This isn't a must like the graphics card is but I do feel it's time I upgraded this old beasty. For those who wonder that's an AMD3000+ on an MSI K8N SLI Platinum with 2* 512MB TCCD and a 7900 GTX so yeah, óóóóóóóóóld! :P
With these components holding off a bit is no problem if something bigger and better is coming out soon. I've had a breef look around and a thread about the Phenom 2 X4 caught my eye? Though I hold my hart when I'm thinking of what it might cost ^^ Eh, I think I'm daydreaming again

PS: It's by no means a must but it would be nice if all the components were available from the same shop. It Would save some cash on shipping/driving around.

Old 16th December 2008, 19:19   #2
kristos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristos View Post
And where better to ask it then here amirite?
My mistake

Old 16th December 2008, 20:36   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

- Intel P35 or P45 based motherboard
- HD4870 GPU , at 170-200 euro, nothing better out there as bang/buck, wait for the price drop to come to EU stores, in some US stores the price was adjusted, ATI just lowered it for the holiday season
- E8400 CPU
- 4gb DDR2 PC2-6400 at least
- Known brand 500-600W PSU

should get you a very decent system for not a whole lot of money
Old 17th December 2008, 22:37   #4
kristos

thx jmke

when you say HD4870 GPU , at 170-200 euro I assume that's a 512MB version after the price drop?Because I'm looking at Jaha.be right now, wich seems to be a very competitively priced shop, and all the 4870's with 512MB go for 235€ and up

Old 17th December 2008, 23:27   #5
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

They indeed cost about 220-235 euro atm. So a 20-30 euro should get them below 200 euro. Tough 170 seems a bit optimistic

Agree on the CPU, E8400 of 8400 can be found at sub 150 euro ranges, paired with a cheap P35 or 45 chipset based board such as the P5K from asus at 75 euro, and with a tad overclocking you have a +4 Ghz stable silent aircooled setup.
Old 18th December 2008, 08:23   #6
Madshrimp

www.alternate.de , lower pricing
Old 19th December 2008, 15:51   #7
kristos

Looks like I'll also be needing a new hard disk :x

Anything in particular to look out for?
How big is too big?

Old 19th December 2008, 15:59   #8
Madshrimp

does "too big" exist?
no preferences here, get one with a nice long warranty, that should not be neglected
Old 19th December 2008, 20:56   #9
kristos

Wel I see disks with 1.5TB for sale. I might be wrong but if my memory serves me correctly, large disks used to have a higher fail rate. And I'm not sure if it's the case with harddisks but space is limited so I imagine what they do is - physically - make the data smaller to be able to fit it closer together. That would in turn require a more accurate and more stable reading head(?) That's the way it should be, but that's not always the way it is. I think I've read it somewhere but well, my memory...

yeah

Old 19th December 2008, 21:37   #10
Madshrimp

have not seen this trend with the latest HDDs
look into €/gb to get a good deal, with the 1.5TB out, the 1TB Drives make for a nice deal; stick two of them in RAID1 and you can store data on them without risk of sudden data loss