It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
New Desktop (800€) New Desktop (800€)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Desktop (800€)
Closed Thread

Old 23rd July 2010, 09:21   #11
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post

what?

boot times, app loading times, general alt-tabbing and every single action on your PC is made AT least 2x faster than with a normal HDD. That's worth the investment and tweaks for getting your OS/apps on a smaller SSD
You are right about that, it is very fast, but some SSDs don't have automatic trim in their firmware and the drive becomes slower and slower as time passes. For these we have to execute the trim command manually, with a software provided by the manufacturer.
Also, I would not recommend storing important data on it because if it fails (and I have seen many cases on the newegg.com website comments), there are little to none possibilities to recover the data, as with the platter HDDs.

I am not sure about the other manufacturers, but there are some that offer a lot of firmware upgrades for the drives and after each firmware upgrade, you will lose all data stored on the drive .

I am surely waiting for SSDs to become more affordable but it seems their price remains very high (even if there are lots and lots of manufacturers that produce different models, so we cannot say that there isn't competition)

Last edited by Stefan Mileschin : 23rd July 2010 at 09:26.
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:55   #12
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
but some SSDs don't have automatic trim in their firmware and the drive becomes slower and slower as time passes.
SandForce, Indilinx and Intel controllers have no trouble with them; those are the recent SSDs (or golden oldies in Intel's case)

Quote:
Also, I would not recommend storing important data on it because if it fails
hence why only OS/Apps as I wrote
and of course an image of the SSD drive on the larger HDD for fast recovery.

Quote:
I am surely waiting for SSDs to become more affordable but it seems their price remains very high
price "was" very high, now it's just high. next year hope to get 160gb at €200 price point and 80gb at €100, then I can do a complete rollout for all 400 desktops and give them the speedboost of a lifetime
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:05   #13
[M] Reviewer

Quote:
price "was" very high, now it's just high. next year hope to get 160gb at €200 price point and 80gb at €100, then I can do a complete rollout for all 400 desktops and give them the speedboost of a lifetime
I really hope your wishes will be granted next year or even faster
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:36   #14
Madshrimp

Intel will publish 320gb SSD end of year, pushing down price of 160 & 80gb , so yeah. I have big hopes for SSD in 2011&2012
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:28   #15
[M] Reviewer

Metalmorphed, you haven't mentioned if you already have or want us to recommend you a PSU or a CPU cooler.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:42   #16
Metalmorphed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Mileschin View Post
Metalmorphed, you haven't mentioned if you already have or want us to recommend you a PSU or a CPU cooler.
Didn't really think about that yet :P
But if you know any good ones that are affordable that would be great !

Old 23rd July 2010, 11:58   #17
[M] Reviewer

Well, everyone has its preferences; a very good heatsink would be the Venomous X from Thermalright, but you have to buy the fans; if you want a silent setup, I would recommend the Noctua SE2.

Regarding the PSU, I would recommend a 650+ PSU if you are willing to overclock the system in the future. Depending on what you find in stock, we could try say which ones are better.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:23   #18
Madshrimp

start out with the Intel CPU Cooler and if you find it too loud, upgrade, while the thermalright and noctua models won't disappoint they are priced hefty.

other alternatives might not perform "as good" but for a few degrees more, you pay half the price

Scythe Mugen 2 for example is good midrange cooler which comes with fans and offers decent performance at <$30 price.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...mugen-2_8.html
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:33   #19
[M] Reviewer

Quote:
start out with the Intel CPU Cooler and if you find it too loud, upgrade, while the thermalright and noctua models won't disappoint they are priced hefty.

other alternatives might not perform "as good" but for a few degrees more, you pay half the price

Scythe Mugen 2 for example is good midrange cooler which comes with fans and offers decent performance at <$30 price.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...mugen-2_8.html
For the i5 750 CPUs at least, the stock cooler is a joke (haven't even used it till the last CPU cooler review and I could not believe how weak it is;I have also reseated it twice, while obtaining the same results). I could not even overclock the CPU to 3.2GHz without going over 80 degrees Celsius in OCCT. The cooler presented by John is also a very good choice if you don't want to spend much while obtaining a good price/performance ratio.

Last edited by Stefan Mileschin : 23rd July 2010 at 12:39.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:49   #20
Metalmorphed

Hmm, I'm not really planning on overclocking so I'll stay with the one I get with the cpu :P And if I want to overclock later, I'll consider one of the fantsy-er ones :P
Thanks anyway !

Closed Thread