It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
X800Pro to X800 XT hardmod X800Pro to X800 XT hardmod
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

X800Pro to X800 XT hardmod
Closed Thread

Old 8th September 2004, 02:34   #21
ssl6

hmmm, did u just get the card recently?.....maybe theyve made a way 2 stop us from doing that too.....sux when they do that, leaves us modders with nothin 2 do

Old 8th September 2004, 21:29   #22
FreeStyler

first week of august, but it was a card that arrived at the shop around the beginning of july.

It just doesn't work.

Old 9th September 2004, 13:43   #23
ssl6

bah....keep trying i guess, just dont fry it.....unless u can afford to, i kno i cant

Old 9th September 2004, 14:29   #24
FreeStyler

hmmm, I tried plenty.
I'l just tired of getting the cooler on and off all the time.

Old 9th September 2004, 14:38   #25
ssl6

cant blame you, im still tryin 2 turn a duron into an athlon xp.....with a sp97 heatsink, its a pain to take off the fan and undo 4 screws everytime to try it.....so its sitting on my shelf now, im bored with it, like alot of other projects i had

Old 16th September 2004, 08:36   #26
Liquid3D

Quote:
Originally posted by ssl6
hmmm, did u just get the card recently?.....maybe theyve made a way 2 stop us from doing that too.....sux when they do that, leaves us modders with nothin 2 do
I'm currently searching for the article which supports these claims, but there were only a limited number of cards which were receptive to this mod. Even among the very early cards, the mod was successful only 40% of the time opening all 16-pipe's.

Also from what I've read, VIVO cards only require a soft-Mod. Ironically if you've done the hard-mod, you may have prevented yourself from opening all 16-pipes permanently. I hope I'm wrong. I'll be back when I find the articles.

Old 16th September 2004, 15:13   #27

jort Freshly Registered

yes that would be very interesting
i've a msi x800 pro vivo
so only replace pro to an xt bios and finisched?

that would decrease the chance of a dying card
Old 16th September 2004, 16:33   #28
ssl6

isnt softmodding done through drivers?

Old 16th September 2004, 17:59   #29
kristos

bios is hardware

Old 17th September 2004, 07:49   #30
Liquid3D

BIOS = Basic Input Output System; i.e. software as defined here

The BIOS ROM chip is hardware.

Flashing a BIOS is purely software related, and involves changing the Baisc Input Output instruction set. And this is why PC's are so integral in the study of Neuroscience (my feild) because they resemble the human brain in so many respects. For example, both are physical but rely on binary code, "the language of thought" for "processing". The brain also uses language (or at least area's of it does) to represent thought, and to formulate thoughts such as these I'm sharing. Idea's are usually fomulated in language, and of course language is the universal tool for communication (next to Love). This led to the discovery of Universal Grammer, which has it's physical location in the brain, in an area known as the LAD (Language Aquisition Device). This was all the work of Noam Chomsky whom discovered UG (Universal Grammer) some years ago at MIT.

Many claim our thought's are not physical but etheral, or non-physical entities, since we can't "touch" them or "see" them. This was known as the argument of Dualism, which pre-occupied Philsopher's for thousands of years. That argument has been resolved in the 21st Century as we now know we are purely physiochemical beings, and so are our thought's, desires, and dreams. They are known as Brain States.

If you want to get technical, since we are material, and live in an atomic world, even the "code" which comprises the BIOS instruction set is made-up of 1's and 0's which eventually reduce to electrical impulses, but that's Reductionism and an entirely different subject. Yes Kristos I can see your a true Materialist, as am I, but we musn't be confused by the "language" of thought, or in this case, the terminology of Computer Science.

When I say VIVO cards only require a Soft-Mod, I mean BIOS flash, and Update driver (software)

Closed Thread