It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
Danger (Den) will Robinson, it's PC4200 Danger (Den) will Robinson, it's PC4200
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Danger (Den) will Robinson, it's PC4200
Closed Thread

Old 22nd November 2003, 15:09   #31
Bling_bLING

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
Liquid3D it is impossible to have below room temperature results
your temp diode is off balance I'm afriad

only by use of a BONG, Pelt, Vapo, Prommy, LN2, .. are you able to go below room temps

you say room temp is 21°C
but the CPU is running @ 20°C?

did you put the radiator outside the window?
that would be a problem...

is this the same equipment you used for the dd maze4 kit review? id say its time to pull that review until you have real temps to show us...

come on d00d... it aint real data! :spank:

Old 22nd November 2003, 15:11   #32
Liquid3D

The radiator (twin fans Push/Pull) is on a cement floor (covered with vinyl) This 1/2-meter thick cement floor absorbs colder temps by virtue of it being reinforced to the outside of this brick/stone building. Not only is the radiator on the floor, it's just below the open window, and the cold air coming in drops down to the foor, over and around the radiator, and 90% of the entire system's mass. Because my room is on the corner of the building, there's a small window perpendicular to the large one facing the Bay, which creates a cross draft. Using my Venetian blinds, I close them such that they are about 10mm above the window sil. So as the cross draft pulls in the cold air, the blind forces downward all the cold air from the open window.

So yes the radiator, reservoir, pump and most of the 1/2" tubing are all outside of the box. When we think of heat dissipation, we must think of mass. The mass of the heat from the CPU and NB are running through hoses, radiator, and reservoir, which all reside outside of the case, and directly in the path of cold air flowing on and around it from the open window just a fmeter away. Also the radiator sitting on the floor is conducting it's heat, and the system's into the colder floor by virtue of Fouriers Law, which say's;
"When there exists a temperature gradient within a body, heat energy will flow from the region of high temperature to the region of low temperature. This phenomenon is known as conduction heat transfer, and is described by Fourier's Law..."

Perhaps after seeing the photo and thinking about this from a thermal (physics) perspective, I beleive you'll see why my system behaves the way it does. The mobo thermistor happens to be in the tower-case 1/2-meter above the floor, and there's a large difference from the temp of that radiator on the floor (and the water flowing through it) and the thermistor sitting in the open case (which is residing in silicon, effected by the Law of heat Equation which says;
"The temperature profile within a body depends upon the rate of its internally-generated heat, its capacity to store some of this heat, and its rate of thermal conduction to its boundaries (where the heat is transfered to the surrounding environment). Mathematically this is stated by the Heat Equation."

Finally there's also a Z-chipset block on the NB, and I have the flow feeding this block first, as it's much more effective then the coomon method which feeds the CPU first.

Old 22nd November 2003, 16:01   #33
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

ah, so you actually room temp is fluctuating continously with that open window

in my humble opinion, really test the unit you should close the windows and keep the room temp. steady at all times during the testing, only then one could get an idea of the rise above roomtemp this setup provides.

my 2 cents
Old 22nd November 2003, 16:18   #34
Bling_bLING

was this your setup for the dd maze4 kit review you did? all your stuff outside in a freezing room? ( i cant tell, but it doesnt look like you have any shrouds on the rad )

how many people do you think have their rigs set up this way? you have gone to HUGE lengths to assure your temps are low and oc high by using water and cold weather. the latter isnt a "normal" setup for most peeps... and then you went and did a review for a $$$$ making company, without telling people one of the MAIN reasons for such outragious temps and oc? comparing this dd kit to phase-change untis? if your room is 37°f, maybe...

Quote:
On a cool nite the system will easily drop to 14C while running a 2.4C on a 1.3GHz overclock. This approaches temps I've seen in my Prometeia. There are those whom often see 10C reading while overclocking with their Vapochill's and at 1/4th the price, this makes Danger Den an exceptional value.
wtf is that? cool night?!? its 45°f, or whatever it was ( taking ambient temp readings from the mobo temp sensor isnt standard is it? i thought "reviewers" used actual external thermometers... i do, and i dont even do reviews ) in your room, d00d! thats not a "cool night"...

Quote:
I must forwarn this may make Vapochill, and original Prometeia owners angry. In fact I took simultaneous screenshots of two Temp monitoring softwares, because the temps were simply unbeleivable! You'll see why below
thats all you have to say about your insane temps? people will read this review and think they too can get these temps if they order this kit... but your not painting the entire picture here, are you? having most of your wc system outside the case, windows open in late autum isnt a legit review/test of a wc system. its your way of bringing down temps and increasing your oc... but this "review" DOES NOT belong on a money making website. its an experiment at best....

Old 22nd November 2003, 16:19   #35
Bling_bLING

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
ah, so you actually room temp is fluctuating continously with that open window

in my humble opinion, really test the unit you should close the windows and keep the room temp. steady at all times during the testing, only then one could get an idea of the rise above roomtemp this setup provides.

my 2 cents

like your buddy said...

Old 22nd November 2003, 17:00   #36
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally posted by Bling_bLING
but this "review" DOES NOT belong on a money making website. its an experiment at best....

what MONEY making website is that if I may ask?
Old 23rd November 2003, 03:01   #37
Liquid3D

Quote:
Originally posted by Bling_bLING
was this your setup for the dd maze4 kit review you did? all your stuff outside in a freezing room? ( i cant tell, but it doesnt look like you have any shrouds on the rad )...how many people do you think have their rigs set up this way? you have gone to HUGE lengths to assure your temps are low and oc high by using water and cold weather. the latter isnt a "normal" setup for most peeps... and then you went and did a review for a $$$$ making company, without telling people one of the MAIN reasons for such outragious temps and oc? comparing this dd kit to phase-change untis? if your room is 37°f, maybe...wtf is that? cool night?!? its 45°f, or whatever it was ( taking ambient temp readings from the mobo temp sensor isnt standard is it? i thought "reviewers" used actual external thermometers... i do, and i dont even do reviews ) in your room, d00d! thats not a "cool night"... thats all you have to say about your insane temps? people will read this review and think they too can get these temps if they order this kit... but your not painting the entire picture here, are you? having most of your wc system outside the case, windows open in late autum isnt a legit review/test of a wc system. its your way of bringing down temps and increasing your oc... but this "review" DOES NOT belong on a money making website. its an experiment at best....
I wasn't even going to respond to you, but I'm slightly agitated at your un-provoked attack. This is obviously some personal problem disguised as ultruistic concern for the "Enthusiast." If you read my site's "mission statement" thermal management is an underlying theme. The term "esoteric" is mentioned in the first paragraph.

In so far as the "review" I never claimed to be a "professional" reviewer anyway, because I'm not. If I was able to attain the temps I did, then it's feasble others, can. And the fact somone would spend $1000 on a Prometia is no more extreme then opening a window. The temps in my system are no different then anyone else can attain, if they follow the steps I did (yes that may require relocating to a climate where the ambeint temps are simliar, or the purchase of an air conditioner, perhaps if you had one you wouldn't be so hot under the collar). I can't account for your geographical location, nor do I have to qualify mine. The ambeint temp is the motherboard temp by deduction, IF you read the following stament in the review before any screenshots are shown.
"...I actulally left the all the components outside of the case. But I'm not into packing anymore devices into a case then is necessary. I haven't had the side-panel on my case in years."
Am I supposed to conduct the review in every country on the planet, to ensure all climatic conditions are covered in the name of objectivity? Anyone with a High School education knows objectivity, is almost impossible to reproduce, even under laboratory conditions. There are always variables which will effect the outcome. Perhaps if I had done the review in your room, which is obviously OVERheated by your displaced anger?

If it's true objectivity you seek, then there would be NO reviews to your satisfaction. The reviewer would have to conduct the experiment on every-single (readers) person's PC, using that persons hardware, affected by that person's climatic condition's, the nature of the AC-current flowing into that home, electromagnetic fields unique to that person's room, ambeint temps of the room, whether the hardware is in or out of their case, using their distilled water, using the exact amount of water-wetter (of that's what they use), and using a thermometer (exactly like yours)...

Yet I have the distinct feeling this wouldn't satisfy you either. Your entitled to your opinion's, but just like your opinions, YOUR system temps are just that, YOURS. Ergo no reviewer can ever replicate YOUR system's environmental parameters, in their room, in another countr.

Your attack seems more indicative of some prejudice, then a "concern" for people getting misinformation. I qualify the conditions under which extreme temps were acheived, so your point is moot. I doubt you reflect the "norm" in your use of a thermometer. How many PC-users do you think are taking their temps with a thermometer? That would also by definition require they know the Delta-T rule. Using a themometer is by definition more innaccurate then the thermistor on the motherboard. Why? because the temperture differential between thermistor reading albeit 3-5C off that of a thermometer is at least consistant against itself. Where-as few people even know how to apply the Delta-T rule. So get over it, and start using your brain. And for God sakes OPen the DAM window!

Old 23rd November 2003, 17:36   #38
FreeStyler

Windows have been open from the time I moved in here
I was soo thinking the same, but I couldn't be bothered.

Old 24th November 2003, 02:40   #39
Bling_bLING

ambient temps are as important as anything else... your review didnt have that spelled out. there is NO WAY you could have compared this kit to a promee or vapo without having your windows open and guts on the floor... am i right? how is this real data for someone who is planning on having their windows shut and guts inside the case? it AINT!

you know that dd is running this as a legit review. how can you let this data be used to sell something that doesnt do the job you say it does? you need to spell out the fact that you have a setup that doesnt reflect the norm... and you didnt/havent!

you are affecting people's decision to buy a product, with money.
sorry that money is important and scarce to some.

ive had my windows open to get better temps for years... but it isnt real. i only do it game out @ sick OCs, but it gets so cold that i cant move my fingers to kill kill kill

this has nothing to do with anger or prejudice... i dont know you at all. i DO know a bad review when i read it, tho...

Old 24th November 2003, 03:04   #40
FreeStyler

And where exaclty did you see that it's a review. Cause it isn't. Just some freak who like to show of with his hardware (not that we mind tho, keep it up).
Not to mention a simple and retarded way to chill the system. I have to admit the frozen fingers part is really annoying

Fixed

Closed Thread