It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
My next upgrade. My next upgrade.
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My next upgrade.

Old 28th April 2004, 10:47   #31
Unregistered

I'm just curious how that rambling reflection on the past has any useful advice at all in it.

Pointing out the blatantly obvious (That the PC market has been stagnant) along with the odd reference to bottlenecks and the way buyers are milked isnt really my idea of a great article.

What was the point of it? To mention a couple of catchword technologies in the vague hope that the future looks bright?
Well it doesnt. I think we'll keep incrementing upward at the same slack pace we have been for the last 18months. Until eventually everyone is in almost the same performance range. I think that none of the new technologies will do anything for useful that the current tech cant do until atleast the 2nd generation.
You cant tell me that USB or SATA were/are particularly great initially. It took years and a significant revision before USB really took off - because all the old stuff stopped being made and USB was easier at the time.
SATA now there's a funny joke. 10% premium for what? a different connector? Not only that but it supports LESS drives than it's "inferior" predecessor. SATA2 might be better.

Basically, upgrade when you have the cash to what suits you at the time. Choosing to wait for the amazing new stuff is generally going to dissappoint you with high expectations and buggy version 1.0's. Ofcourse if you're rich and love having the "greatest", by all means upgrade. I'll sit here happy in the knowledge that someone else is paying for the mistakes, reporting bugs and bringing the prices down for version2.

-myne.
Old 28th April 2004, 10:57   #32
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

"To mention a couple of catchword technologies in the vague hope that the future looks bright?"

I'm actually saying that the future does not look bright...
the article is about that fact that upgrading is becoming less important that X years ago, it doesn't hold new advice on how to upgrade, but rather taking a step back.

"that rambling reflection" / "a great article."

it's more an editorial than an article, looking for reactions..which can be informational like yours
Old 28th April 2004, 11:20   #33
Unregistered

Glad you're happy to accept critique - a rare quality

Well, I've reread it with a different, less cynical mindset and I have to say yeah the state of the industry is crappy.
Did you know we're having the annual ram shortage again? I think there's a korean and taiwanese religeous festival or series of public holidays or something at this time on whatever calendar they use. I think it's the chinese calendar because last years shortage was in may I swear.
What we need is a 'killer app'
Old 28th April 2004, 11:41   #34
Madshrimp

Thank you for that comment Myne, do appreciate any and all comments be it good or bad, the only way to improve is to learn from your mistakes

Longhorn my be pushing the HW limits again with their OS, although I much rather like an OS with the speed of NT (as it runs now on current hardware) with the functionality of XP and stability of Linux
Old 28th April 2004, 16:44   #35

Sidney Freshly Registered

Anyone remember the RAM plant fire in Korea and the earthquake in Taiwan; RAM price shot up 400% within days.
Yes, it's like gasoline price.

I only thing I need upgrade is to buy PSU made in the U.S.A. I am so pissed off with the import liars. Yes, I have to pay more so be it.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2004, 19:07   #36
Maffia

Jmke, nice article.

My personal vision is "if it runs, it's ok". I usually just buy when I absolutely must need/have. My first Pc was an old XT I got from my uncle, nice little to learn how a PC works ( God knows at what speed it was running).

My next one was in '94 when I started University, a Compaq 486 running at 66Mhz. Good to do some word processing, spreadsheet stuff.
Still being used by my sister btw.

Used this one 'till '98 when I went to HK and bought myself a top of the line PII 266 Mhz, with a matrox Mill 2, Voodoo card, 64mb ram & 4.3Gb Hd. My how that machine flew.
Cpu Speed increase 403%, pretty nifty. Time difference 4 years.

Around 2000 some games were coming on the market that my 266 couldn't handle anymore, so bought myself an upgrade of CPU (Athlon Slot A 900Mhz), Ram(128 Mb), Mobo and HD(20GB).
Oh yeah, games are running ever so sweet again.
Cpu Speed increase 338%, impressive. Time difference 2 years.

My upgrades were always based on "can I still play new games on it". As my gaming interest have diminished some what, I haven't found the need yet to replace my CPU, although I have added little things like HD, CD Writer and most recently a DVD writer to my setup.

But now I am shopping around to finally do an upgrade after 4 years, and I'm sure I'll find something which will last me several years again.
Old 9th May 2004, 20:49   #37
Madshrimp

Quote:
Somewhere between 130-nm and 90-nm the whole system fell apart. Things stopped working and nobody seemed to notice. . . . Scaling is already dead but nobody noticed it had stopped breathing and its lips had turned blue
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00579/
Old 10th May 2004, 07:34   #38
Unregistered

good piece
I upgrade about every 2 years and buy hardware on the cheap.
(n-force2 +duron 1800)
Old 4th August 2004, 01:28   #39
Madshrimp

Next generation games have arrived (Far Cry / Doom 3) and they still run decently on 2 year old hardware!
Old 4th August 2004, 02:31   #40

Sidney Freshly Registered

Would my R9000 pro that gives me over 9,000 score 3DMark2001SE be able to handle???? Five rigs are equiped with the same cards.

-------------------------------------------------

May be time to upgrade to R9800.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote