It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
My next upgrade. My next upgrade.
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My next upgrade.

Old 26th April 2004, 07:09   #21
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

at the European community they change PC's every 4 years, this means that we have still PII-350 lingering around, as well as P4 2.53 machines.
Old 26th April 2004, 19:42   #22
Blue_Boy

heyhey, i bougth a PIV 2.53 when i could have bought a PIV 3.06, bot the extra 500 MGhz wasn't worth the extra 250€
Old 27th April 2004, 00:06   #23

Sidney Freshly Registered
Default My next Upgrade

Very strong point here.

While consumers are lured into the stores to buy the "supposing" fast computers only to find out there is not much speed increase in any office apps than the one they replaced.

At the same time, most blue chip stocks are back to "normal pricing" Intel is still below $30; and the seesaw effects of AMD from $8 to $38 range makes you wonder if we are looking at processor idle and load temp swings.

Intel's 423 socket lived for 6 months; 478 socket for 2.5 years and comes the 755. So, in three years time, they changed socket 3 times.

AMD has kept the 370 for quite a long time. You know what? I don't think the S754 will last; which is the mainstream, 754, 939 or 940?

Hey, what about the damn Prescott!!!

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 00:11   #24
Unregistered

PCI-X is actually not PCI Express. Rather PCI Express is known as 3GIO, or 3rd generation I/O.
PCI-X is actually an enchanced version of PCI boards found in servers.
Old 28th April 2004, 00:13   #25
blahblah

Things will actually change with pci express on the front. With GPU's coming out it will be evident that CPU's will now be the bottleneck for gaming perfomance and not GPU. How long this trend will last for is anybodys guess.
Old 28th April 2004, 00:19   #26
lazer1

With the trend heading towards server computing in the business sector, companies like intel are feeling the pinch. Produts like Terminal server and citrix metaframe which make it possible for you to run many applications on a 486 with 32 megs of ram (as all the applications actually run from the server, only screen and mouse clicks are sent from the client pc)
Who needs a p4 3.0ghz with 512bm ram in a business environment when 95% of users will just use office,email and a browser?
Terminal service solutions is the future in computing and this will definatley hurt hardware companies.
Old 28th April 2004, 01:06   #27

Sidney Freshly Registered

I was in IT 30 years ago; They were called Data Processing, punch cards and noisy room. IBM mini 36, Super 38 and CICS. Then, came the AS400 in late 80's; data base management' de-centralize. Auditors from accounting firms came in annually with their Compaq portable 9" GREEN screen punching in Lotus with numbers. People playing computer games were at least 30 years old except Bill Gates, as 16 year old kids could never afford sending $2,000 for a PC. I was writing in basic A for time-phase order point system driven by Data input. Running a factory with 600 people building surface mounted PC boards and a 8-bit portable computer.

The excess of computing power today is into computer games. The best contribution of PC to productivity is the spreadsheet and word process, the rest of the computer power is being wasted.

We have many PC users and few masters.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 02:17   #28
Unregistered

Found a typo
Quote:
400 $/€ for a CPU and motherboard of the next generation, just make sure you have that PCI-X slot on there, otherwise you'll be once again on a dead end track when it comes down to video card upgrades.
I think you mean PCI-E.
Old 28th April 2004, 06:33   #29
Unregistered

^ dude, thats PC-Express or 3GIO not frekin PCI-E.....wheres that rolleyes smiley...

thats cool lazyman that you been in computers 30 years, I been in since the 233,*remembers playing Commander Keen was a blast...when I was 4...anyway right now I feel that we are on the edge of a major surge in upgrades..

*Next Gen CPU's are just about to come up
*Next Gen Video cards are just about to come out (ATI, nVidia)
*PCI-Express will replace alot of technologys ie USB, Firewire, PCI, PCI-X, AGP
*SATA will double in speed by end of year.
*LCD Monitors are here but just a little too much atm

I'd say your only real safe bet is a mouse of keyboard...but then theres this whole wireless thing happening....

Im going to upgrade my Case (to Lian-Li PC-75..yay) and Power Suppy to Global Win 550w True Blue only because I know that as far those technologys go, they ain't going anywhere, but Im not sure as Lian-Li just came out with another case with a whole thermal soloution type of thing where the case helps cool the cpu...
Old 28th April 2004, 08:53   #30
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

thank you for the comments, I fixed the PCI-X to PCI-Express to avoid confusion