It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Vista SP1 Guides for IT Professionals Released Vista SP1 Guides for IT Professionals Released
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vista SP1 Guides for IT Professionals Released

Old 7th January 2008, 19:02   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Vista SP1 Guides for IT Professionals Released

Microsoft released several detailed documents explaining just about everything you ever wanted to know about Vista SP1. Highlights include a Deployment Guide, list of included hotfixes, and a 17-page list of 'Notable Changes'. In reviewing the Notable Changes document, it seems the company focused on improving reliability & performance in really specific scenarios, so it's no wonder that most reviewers are reporting no noticeable gains.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...23202&from=rss
Old 9th January 2008, 20:44   #2
Madshrimp

when is the final expected?

really hope to solve this

Attached Thumbnails
vista-sp1-guides-professionals-released-clipboard01.jpg
Old 9th January 2008, 20:50   #3

Sidney Freshly Registered

That is less than 25 years.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 20:57   #4
Madshrimp

also playing back music, over network, will spike CPU usage to 100% every few minutes, rendering dual core laptop useless. this is frustrating.
Old 10th January 2008, 01:06   #5
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
also playing back music, over network, will spike CPU usage to 100% every few minutes, rendering dual core laptop useless. this is frustrating.
I tried to reproduce this. Strangely playing music does not cause more than ~1% usage. However when browsing the music directory I noticed that is what causes 100% load spikes on a core. It is not the music playing, just the browsing in explorer. Simply using the back/forward button will do it.
Old 10th January 2008, 08:32   #6
Madshrimp

weird, it's also happening now without any music playing, just random spikes to 100% when browsing and visiting a page with video/audio embed, that will cause it too
Old 10th January 2008, 09:38   #7
wutske

jmke, if you install processexplorernt then you can see in a histogram which program causes the spikes.
If you never use DRM-protected media or wma/wmv movies then you can disable the pipelinecache so playing regular mp3s is less stressing your cpu (you can still use media player classic to play wmv/wma files).
Old 10th January 2008, 10:06   #8
Madshrimp

also noticed now CPU spikes when using WLAN, great :/
not going to troubleshoot this until SP1 releases, if afterwards SP1 doesn't solve it, I will consider downgrade to XP (again);
Old 10th January 2008, 13:13   #9
Kougar

Aye, I'm having so many repeating activation issues now that I am losing my patience. Not to mention every single game will crash when I attempt to exit from the game. For whatever reason they do not shut down correctly.

For anyone that usese Vista and must hard reset their BIOS... make doubly sure to correctly set your system clock in your BIOS before you even attempt to load Vista. If not it will put you through a never ending activation hell until you reinstall from scratch.
Old 10th January 2008, 13:36   #10
Rutar

I wonder why anyone would bother with Vista when they have troubles. Why don't they just write off their loss of money and reinstall XP.