It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Skype hype: Cordless and WiFi Skype phone roundup Skype hype: Cordless and WiFi Skype phone roundup
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Skype hype: Cordless and WiFi Skype phone roundup

Old 6th December 2006, 11:35   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Skype hype: Cordless and WiFi Skype phone roundup

If you're new to Skype, I'll explain briefly. Skype is a chat service that allows you to make and receive phone calls to other Skype users for free – provided that you are using the Skype service to do so. If you are making calls (national or international) out to a cell phone, otherwise known as SkypeOut, the rate is 2¢ per minute. If you'd like people to have the ability to call your Skype phone by dialing a number, then you can register for the SkypeIn service and receive a personal number for $38 a year. Skype works like any other chat program in that you have a buddy list of contacts with whom you can call or chat.

With that said, there's a lot going on and a lot changing in the world of Skype, not to mention Internet communication. Let's explore some of the Skype phone options currently available, and discover which phone is the best for your Skype communications. For this article I've chosen to review some of the newest Skype phone models on the market. I'll walk you through the cordless Linksys CIT300 and the Auvi DECT PHIP65 as well as the recent Belkin Wi-Fi and the Netgear SPH101 Wi-Fi releases.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/skypephones.ars