| ||Thread Tools|
|5th February 2008, 15:42||#1|
Join Date: May 2002
Release notes for Vista SP1 - or things that will break your computer
For an overview of significant changes and improvements in this release candidate of SP1, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107921.
For a list of the hotfixes and security updates included in SP1, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107922.
Before you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
* If you install Windows Vista and then install this release candidate of SP1 without first activating Windows Vista, you might not be able to uninstall the service pack.Either activate Windows Vista before you install SP1 or activate SP1 before you attempt to uninstall the service pack.Customer Experience Improvement Program
The Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) is turned on by default. If you do not want to participate in the CEIP, you can change the settings.
To change CEIP settings
1. In Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, and then click Problem Reports and Solutions.For information about the CEIP and the data that is transmitted to Microsoft, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid=52095. For the CEIP privacy statement, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid=52097.
In some cases, computers that use multiple monitors may display black screens when the display mode is changed after resuming from sleep. This issue can also affect laptop computers connected to an external monitor. Display mode changes may occur in any of the following circumstances:
* Attaching or detaching a monitor.To avoid this, do not use multiple monitors, or do not allow the computer to sleep or change the display mode.
If this has already occurred, restart the computer.
Event log messages
The following events from the Shell Hardware Detection service are not valid and can be safely ignored:
* Event 7011 A time-out (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.Group Policy management
This issue affects Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Enterprise.
When you install Windows Vista SP1, the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) is removed from the computer. It is being replaced by an updated downloadable version, which will be available later.
To continue managing Group Policy from a client computer, do either one of the following:
* Maintain a computer running Windows Vista for managing Group Policy.Note
If you must run the GPMC from a computer running Windows Vista, do not install this release of Windows Vista SP
* If you attempt to install this release candidate of SP1 immediately after uninstalling any of the release candidate preview versions, installation may fail.To avoid this, wait at least 30 minutes after uninstalling the preview version before you start this installation. You can check that the computer is ready for installation by running the following command at a command prompt:Message Queuing
If your computer is in workgroup mode and you install this service pack, and then uninstall the service pack, the Message Queuing (MSMQ) service will not start. The event log will indicate that “notify_queue$” was not found.
To correct this, complete the following steps:
Edit the Local Queue Storage file
1. Start Notepad with administrative rights.Microsoft .NET Framework
If your computer is running Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and Internet Information Services (IIS) is configured to host XOML files, and you then install this release candidate of SP1, the files may not load properly if the application pool is in Integrated Mode. When you attempt to load the file, you will receive HTTP error 404.17.
To correct this, use the WFServicesReg.exe /c command to install handlers for Integrated Mode. This command is in the %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\ directory.System Restore
When you install this service pack on a computer with low available disk space, the installer may delete previous System Restore points and shadow copies. This means that you may not be able to revert to the exact state of the computer prior to installing the service pack and that previous versions of files may not be available.Uninstallation
Follow these steps to uninstall SP1 using the command line:
To uninstall SP1 using Package Manager
1. Click Start, expand All Programs, and expand Accessories.
|5th February 2008, 19:58||#2|
Join Date: Sep 2005
"In some cases, computers that use multiple monitors may display black screens when the display mode is changed after resuming from sleep. This issue can also affect laptop computers connected to an external monitor."
I just started reading, but this is already totally unacceptable to me
|5th February 2008, 20:25||#3|
Join Date: Mar 2004
Forget about it; it is more complicated than getting married to three women at the same time.
Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
|6th February 2008, 06:18||#4|
What the heck. Are they serious?
|6th February 2008, 12:03||#5|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Computer scientists in Japan say they've developed a way to break the WPA encryption||jmke||WebNews||0||31st August 2009 12:17|
|Intel and Lenovo Bring Enhanced Computer Anti-Theft Protection to Businesses||jmke||WebNews||0||2nd December 2008 09:57|
|Things that make you go blind: Staring at your computer screen||jmke||WebNews||1||14th July 2008 21:12|
|Vista SP1 released to manufacturing, will arrive in March||jmke||WebNews||0||5th February 2008 10:39|
|What Vista SP1 Means To You||jmke||WebNews||0||31st August 2007 13:07|
|10 Reasons Why It Doesn’t Pay To Be “The Computer Guy”||jmke||WebNews||2||4th May 2007 16:51|
|Computer Shopper Selects AMD Athlon 64 Processor as 2004 `Product of the Year'||Sidney||WebNews||0||27th October 2004 17:18|
|List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2||jmke||WebNews||1||17th August 2004 15:03|
|Windows XP SP2 is big step forward in security--but it can break things||jmke||WebNews||0||22nd June 2004 16:50|
|OCZ to Release 667MHz, 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM||jmke||WebNews||0||26th May 2004 07:36|