It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
OCZ shelves plans to mass produce Cryo-Z Subzero Cooling Unit OCZ shelves plans to mass produce Cryo-Z Subzero Cooling Unit
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OCZ shelves plans to mass produce Cryo-Z Subzero Cooling Unit

Old 1st September 2008, 20:52   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default OCZ shelves plans to mass produce Cryo-Z Subzero Cooling Unit

OCZ has been in the works for more than 2 years to come to market a with a low cost subzero cooling solution which would rival the asetek VapoChill LS and Mach II GT from nVentiv.

Unfortunately making, shipping and support is quite an endeavor, and while some units have found their way into retail, future production has been halted as the return on investment is simply too low.

We got this info straight from OCZ as they posted a message in the XS news forums regarding the Cryo-Z plans. XS owner Fugger had a talk with them as he delved into the details of the issues at hand:
I had a chance to speak with OCZ about this recently and went over the problems and what it will take to fix it.

Originally designed, this unit was set with on/off switch with temp display, somewhere the decision to add a controller was approved.

OCZ purchased bad controllers from Cooler Express and any vibration will cause the controller to flicker/reset and or blow out the display.

This is just the beginning of the problems with the Cooler Express controllers. The controller was designed to be wired in and it was not compatible with most motherboards, it required to be wired in to operate, if it was incorrect or mobo was wrong the compressor was shut down. There would have been a 100% return rate if released.

The shipping package, block, lineset, compressor, case and condenser are all fine and I am sure at the intended price point people would be happy. The compressor has a restart delay built in, wiring in the switch does not defeat this protection feature of the compressor. The problems with the controller made this very annoying but working as intended most will never notice the restart delay.

Retrofit will take two wires, and a temp display along with an hour of time that I am sure could be cut to half hour after the first few units.

Cryo-Z did make an appearance at Nvision08, I didn't have a chance to examine but I did see that it was running. That booth was doing quite a few give aways and nearly impossible to get close at times.

Will the Cryo-Z be released? No, not with the Cooler Express controller.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...79#post3261479
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:24   #2
goingpostale1

Boo! I've been waiting for this damn thing for ages. Shame its going to take even longer now D: .