It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse Review Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse Review
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse Review

Old 23rd September 2004, 10:48   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse Review

Hardware Pacers has posted a review on the Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse. Here's a snip:

It all started with an alliance between Logitech & Agilent where they revealed that a singular wavelength of laser light is capable of providing much greater surface detail than the LED found in the regular optical mice. As Logitech knew that there would be high market demand for such a great innovation, the typical cost of 1,000 USD for laser measuring system was reduced to an 80 USD mouse with this technology. According to Agilent, the laser mouse was found to have 20 times more sensitivity to surface detail than optical mice, and in addition to the laser capturing 5.8 megapixels of data every second, this technology had to surface ASAP and here we see it today in retail stores and in everyone's budget.

http://www.hardware-pacers.com/pages...=302&catType=r
Old 23rd September 2004, 17:54   #2
kristos

you got yours yet? and if so, how 's it doing and how does it feel?
feel the same like mx500 type?
Old 23rd September 2004, 18:05   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

full review to follow in 2-3 weeks after more thorough testing, here's what I got so far

here a quick rundown of pos/neg findings after testing the MX1000 for ~2 hours

I unwrapped it at 22h (now 0:23) and experimented with it vs an MX700 and Mouseman dual optical (wired)

+fits my hand better then the other mice (only for right handed people!)
+feels lighter, but mx700 en mx1000 both weigh 175gr
+battery level is indicated everytime you move the mouse
+powercable is now inserted into the base station instead of the mouse connector

-built-in battery: once this is one is empty, the fun is over. the mx700 allowed you to swap the batteries for fresh ones (I needed this often at lan parties!)
-scrollwheel requires some force to used as mouse3, and when you do so the wheel will tilt to the left
-without logitech soft you can forget about using the mousewheel's tilt function and the extra button on the side
-the back/forward button on the side is less easy to push in, the MX700 has the advantage here (mousebuttons 3 & 4)

I played a few rounds of Instagib in UT2003/DM-Gael against the same bot, difficulty "masterfull"

score was about the same with both MX mouses, the dual optical scored lower, mainly due to the fact that it doesn't fit the hand quite well. and is harder to move around although it is 25gr lighter then the others

I have to admit that keeping your crosshair on the opponent is easier with the MX1000, this I do not contribute to the new "laser" tech; but rather the form of the mouse. where with the MX700 your dumb could rest on the mouse only half, with the MX1000 more room is reserverd for this, your thumb rests completely on the mouse which translates in a better control over the mouse in my humble opinion
Old 23rd September 2004, 21:59   #4
kristos

hmmm, those aren't exactly neglectible negative points there, especially for (lan) gamers...