It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Game of Thrones is victory for luddites Game of Thrones is victory for luddites
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Game of Thrones is victory for luddites

Old 16th May 2014, 06:44   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Game of Thrones is victory for luddites

The writer of the medieval fantasy novel George R.R. Martin is apparently a great fan of medieval technology and writes his epic fantasy novels on an outdated computer from the 1980s.

In an interview, Martin was asked if he was worried that he would ever lose any of his work to a computer virus or have his computer hacked by those looking for spoilers.

Martin said that his DOS computer isn't connected to the Internet – he uses another machine for e-mail, taxes and browsing the web. The machine he creates his books on is a DOS machine using the 1980s word processor WordStar 4.0,

He said that he likes his computer, which he bought in the 1980s. It does everything he wants a word processing program will do, and does not do anything else.

"I don't want any help. I hate some of these modern systems where you type a lower case letter and it becomes a capital letter. I don't want a capital. If I wanted a capital, I would have typed a capital. I know how to work the shift key."

Martin also hates spell check because he constantly types names like Stannis Baratheon and Daenerys Targaryen which a spell check insists should be auto-corrected as "Tire Center."

Mind you, it could explain why he takes so long to write his books and why the TV series is in danger of catching up with him.

http://news.techeye.net/business/gam...y-for-luddites
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote