It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
An editorial on LCD panel quality and what to look for on your next purchase An editorial on LCD panel quality and what to look for on your next purchase
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

An editorial on LCD panel quality and what to look for on your next purchase

Old 31st July 2009, 12:03   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default An editorial on LCD panel quality and what to look for on your next purchase

For the last 2+ years there have been two developments in the LCD market that I know I’m not alone in disliking: (1) Glossy panels, you either love them or hate them – I’m in the latter group. (2) So-called LCD “post processing”, used on many high-end displays.

Furthermore, the response time race also known as the “ms race” has had a very negative effect on LCD quality. This somewhat relates to the megapixel race seen in point and shoot digital cameras, where marketing went crazy for higher megapixel counts at the cost of reduced performance in low-light conditions.

It is a commonly known fact that 60hz is what most people will find a LCD pleasing to look at, and this is also close to what our eyes are capable of processing. One second = 1000ms, thus a refresh rate of 1000ms / 60hz = 16.7ms. What this means is that at 60hz the screen is redrawn once every 16ms. So why do we see LCD displays continuing to push below 16ms when there is no way for it to render that fast at 60hz? The answer is simple: marketing.

-http://www.techspot.com/blog/645/an-editorial-on-lcd-panel-quality-and-what-to-look-for-on-your-next-purchase/