It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Mobile Chipsets Don't Take Advantage of SSDs faster than SATA150 spec ? Mobile Chipsets Don't Take Advantage of SSDs faster than SATA150 spec ?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mobile Chipsets Don't Take Advantage of SSDs faster than SATA150 spec ?

Old 8th March 2009, 11:25   #1
Faiakes

Icon17 Mobile Chipsets Don't Take Advantage of SSDs faster than SATA150 spec ?

The latest SSDs have surpassed the SATA-I spec and have made 2 things abundantly clear:

1. There is hardly ANY SATA-II mobile chipset out there!

The very common ICH8 provides SATA-II support, but it is not a SATA-II chipset in itself. All it means is that SATA-II HDDs will work with it...
You won't get the speed benefits of SATA-II, as I've discovered upon installing a faster than SATA-I SSD (OCZ Vertex 30GB).

Feel free to benchmark with ATTO, if you don't believe me.

Here's mine:

- A Dell 1720 laptop (ICH8M), the 30GB is the OS drive and there is another 250GB mechanical HDD.
- All tweaks have been performed (and they are a lot!) as detailed here
- The 30GB Vertex is aligned with an 128 offset.
- WinXp Pro SP3 (with all the latest updates), clean install.
- AHCI 8.7, Intel Chipset Driver 9.0.0.1008
- No other programs running in the background (not even text services or Anti-Virus).
- ATTO run of the C drive (Vertex).

2. There is no point for laptop owners to buy any SSD that exceeds the SATA-I spec!

(3. And of course that mobile chipsets are well behind the times when it comes to storage technology. )

If anyone knows of a true/actual SATA-II mobile chipset, please post a link here.

Last edited by Faiakes : 8th March 2009 at 11:50.
Old 8th March 2009, 11:47   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

interesting find, definitely something worth looking into. Upcoming AMD/INTEL mobile platform show no change of this?
Old 8th March 2009, 11:48   #3
Faiakes

Well, there is ONE ssd enhancing chipset on the market!

The ICH9M
• Two integrated Serial ATA host controllers, each with transfer rates of up to 3 Gb/s, support four SATA ports for increased storage capacity and speed.
allegedely!

Anyone got one to confirm SATA-II perfromance?
Old 8th March 2009, 11:51   #4
Faiakes

Quote:
The mobile Nehalem (Calpella / Ibex Peak-M / GM47) platform is supposed to have explicit support for non-volatile cache and SSDs. Though we won't be seeing that for some months yet.
As I'm being informed.
Old 8th March 2009, 11:58   #5
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

searching the web for http://www.google.com/search?q=mobile+chipset+SATA300 brings it to a thread of yours
Old 8th March 2009, 12:06   #6
Faiakes

Damn right! I spent 2 hours researching this last night, all while being very angry thinking that I could not even buy a laptop that could take advantage of these great new SSDs.

At least consumers will now be more aware.
Old 8th March 2009, 12:38   #7
Faiakes

As UberGerbil reports:

Quote:
AMD's SB600 is used in some mobile AMD systems and claims 3Gbps capability.
The nVidia nForce Go 430 claims this as well.
The SB600, however, is as bad as SATA-I, while the nVidia one only comes with AMD mobile CPUs...

Do any users have experience with either ICH9M or nVidia Go 430 chipstes and SSDs?

Last edited by Faiakes : 8th March 2009 at 15:06.
Old 8th March 2009, 19:10   #8
Kougar

This is interesting, but not a huge surprise? Intel's mobile chipsets have lagged behind desktop by a generation or two. ICH8M is from the 965 chipset, atlhough the desktop ICH8 does support 3 GB/s support.

Intel's spec sheets do not appear to specifically mention the type of SATA spec for the mobile versions of the ICH8 family.
Old 8th March 2009, 19:14   #9
Faiakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Intel's spec sheets do not appear to specifically mention the type of SATA spec for the mobile versions of the ICH8 family.
Indeed, I've gone through them. All there is, is a passing mention of SATA but not details as to what kind exactly.

Last edited by Faiakes : 9th March 2009 at 01:26.
Old 9th March 2009, 07:42   #10
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

How about nvidia's 9400 ? (Mac notebooks)

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...0-chipsets.ars

Looks like these are 3Gb/s, but not sure if that's native...

Last edited by thorgal : 9th March 2009 at 07:44.
thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote