It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Water Cooling Something Something Water Cooling Something Something
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Water Cooling Something Something
Closed Thread

Old 18th December 2009, 13:24   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Water Cooling Something Something

Can anybody tell me what this is about?

-edit: flow using different size tube/restriction?

Last edited by jmke : 18th December 2009 at 13:30.
Old 18th December 2009, 18:11   #2
wutske

flow restrictions caused by using different types of connectors ?

Old 19th December 2009, 05:31   #3
JimmyJump

The guy did some tests to measure fluctuations in temperatures, according to the speed of the flow, hence the use of different diameters and angles of tubing (bigger tubes/longer angles, higher speed or flow). For some reason he seems to have used tubing normally found in buildings... and there's wrong angles under the pictures. Or the wrong pictures above the mentioned angles, your choice

The charts give litres per hour (x) and voltage needed by the pump, according to the respective tubing used (y). (chart 1 & 2)
Water was heated with a 220Watt MOSFET and measured, again according to the thickness of the tubing and, of course, the litres per hour. Temps are for the GPU (red line), and CPU (blue line)...

I didn't try to read what he says past the first paragraph, cuz it's mainly just gibberish, thanks to Google and its crummy translation capabilities...

*EDIT*

I read the original German text and came to the same conclusion...

Last edited by JimmyJump : 19th December 2009 at 05:47.

Old 19th December 2009, 11:39   #4
[M] Reviewer

leeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registered

well we can argue zillion times about tubings, fittings and co, indeed all will have it's effects, but the question to be asked is : what effect will it have on the temps... it might be a few degrees but there's where it ends really... laods of work the lad did for a minimal outcome... there ahve been so many issues with fittings (mainly the threads) that it's sometimes better to use the sock ones delivered from the manufacturer... I stepped down from 1/2 inch tubing to 3/8 and haven't noticed anything in temp loss, yes flow is a bit less, but's the newer blocks don't need zillions of flow anymore to perform well... running a pump at 7 or 12 volts clearly shows that, only the high restrictive blocks gain there...

Watercooling gear : it's all in the head

Last edited by leeghoofd : 19th December 2009 at 11:50.
Old 19th December 2009, 18:50   #5
JimmyJump

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeghoofd View Post
well we can argue zillion times about tubings, fittings and co, indeed all will have it's effects, but the question to be asked is : what effect will it have on the temps... it might be a few degrees but there's where it ends really... laods of work the lad did for a minimal outcome... there ahve been so many issues with fittings (mainly the threads) that it's sometimes better to use the sock ones delivered from the manufacturer... I stepped down from 1/2 inch tubing to 3/8 and haven't noticed anything in temp loss, yes flow is a bit less, but's the newer blocks don't need zillions of flow anymore to perform well... running a pump at 7 or 12 volts clearly shows that, only the high restrictive blocks gain there...
Yep. The guy has better results as of 300 litres per hour A bit like holding your computer under Niagara Falls

Quote:
Watercooling gear : it's all in the head
So, you went from "empty-head" to "waterhead" then?

Old 19th December 2009, 20:38   #6
[M] Reviewer

leeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registered

I will inflict some damage to a person from Waregem soon if this emptyhead bussiness continues...

Well i get loads of remarks form the manufacturers why thier block didn't perform as in their testlab... then you find out they run dual even triple pump setups to push the performance... then I answer , sorry I test the blocks in a real world setup... nothing with dual or more pumps... I would rather go straight phase then then wasting so much cash on some pumps, to gain 2-3°C...
Old 19th December 2009, 23:04   #7
JimmyJump

Quote:
Well i get loads of remarks form the manufacturers why thier block didn't perform as in their testlab... then you find out they run dual even triple pump setups to push the performance... then I answer , sorry I test the blocks in a real world setup... nothing with dual or more pumps... I would rather go straight phase then then wasting so much cash on some pumps, to gain 2-3°C...
True. Same goes for aircoolers. If you see what Zalman, Arctic Cooling or Noctua come up with... the latest Noctua weighs 1,3Kg and measures somewhere around 16cm wide, 14cm long and sticks-out about 15cm from the mainboard

Also just for a couple of degrees lees than a cooler from another brand. And with coolers, everything depends on what you've got inside the case, what case you have with how many other coolers, even which part of the globe you live (Central Africa compared to Alaska, for example)...

Old 19th December 2009, 23:16   #8
[M] Reviewer

One of the reasons I wrote : it's all in the head...

People read reviews and see woooooow. Then they get the gear themselves and not even really verify it lol. it must be better than my previous stuff because Empty Head said so lol... I still love that manufacturers are improving the products, but the gains you get over a 1 year old high end watercooling gear or other type of fitting (in this case) is so minimalistic that's it's hardly worth the cash. Some even just do it for the bling.

You see that a guy from the metropol of Europe and a Glimburger can live together in perfect harmnoy. With the East Fluten that's another thing
Old 20th December 2009, 09:18   #9
wutske

The thing is that you can't make it perform better than the materials is capable of doing so. That's also one of the reasons that cpu makers keep the TDP low enough, because otherwise one couldn't cool it anymore with it's case taking off by the amount of fans inside .
The same goes for watercooling, you'll reach the limits of the capabilities of the materials and there's no real use in trying to surpass these borders.

The thing is, it's easy to go from nothing towards the limits, but the closer you get to the limits, the harder it'll take to get closer to them. You'll probably end up paying double of what it costed you to go from 0 to 90, but in this case, it only gave you 5 more...

If you know what I mean

Old 20th December 2009, 10:24   #10
JimmyJump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutske View Post

The thing is, it's easy to go from nothing towards the limits, but the closer you get to the limits, the harder it'll take to get closer to them. You'll probably end up paying double of what it costed you to go from 0 to 90, but in this case, it only gave you 5 more...

If you know what I mean
Funny enough I do...

It's a bit like having to walk to the centre of a room, but you can only walk half of the remaining distance at a time.

Besides not being able to ever get to the actual mathematical centre (there's always half of the remaining distance left), it also gets more difficult to advance the closer you get to the center...

Closed Thread