It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
How Vista would look like if I was in charge How Vista would look like if I was in charge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How Vista would look like if I was in charge
Closed Thread

Old 24th February 2007, 15:39   #1
Rutar

Default How Vista would look like if I was in charge

What comes now is is probably beyond MAD.

Vista would not have a registry or anything that is like a registry.

Vista would only support USB devices, hence we would see cheaper motherboards with 10 or more USB connectors at the back.

Vista would be PCI-Express only.

Vista would be DX10 only.

Any hardware older than 3 years would no longer be supported if it didn't already get killed by one of the steps above.

Programs would be forced to store any information in the folder you give them, no more messing with MY C: partition. Delete the folder and the program is gone 100%.

Vista would have install options for IE, WMP, MSN ect. Those programs would not be embedded anywhere they would install like 3rd party software in their folder and I could tell them during the installation where.

Any updates are available as file downloads, those downloads would be composed to update packs on quarterly basis. Windows update would work on FF.

Features could be all found and configured in one place.

There is a PRO option during install which guides you through all the features and gives an opportunity to leave them off the system when installing Vista (like the Firewall, crappy M$ Spyware software).

At the first launch, programs would ask if they are allowed to store any usage information in their folder (that includes Vista itself).

There is a KICKASS defrag program installed by default.

*waits for the first person to say "when pigs fly"*

Old 25th February 2007, 22:41   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I would buy your OS
Old 26th February 2007, 03:11   #3
FreeStyler

http://humor.beecy.net/misc/hellfrozeover/
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre...roze_over.html (popular topic on google's hell froze over search

But I guess that didn't do it.

Old 26th February 2007, 22:21   #4

Sidney Freshly Registered

Like it or not, Vista is replacing XP. By end of the year, 2 x 2 GB memory, DX10 cards and Quad core will be found/used in most hardware review sites. This is the nature of PC enthusiasts ...... common sense needs not apply

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 26th February 2007, 23:07   #5
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutar View Post
What comes now is is probably beyond MAD.

Vista would not have a registry or anything that is like a registry. -> registry is handy, good for tweaking . It only needs some rewriting

Vista would only support USB devices, hence we would see cheaper motherboards with 10 or more USB connectors at the back. -> stupid, what about firewire (for video camera's or external hdd)

Vista would be PCI-Express only. -> stupid (every motherboard has PCI, why not supporting it ?)

Vista would be DX10 only. -> stupid too, there's hardly any DX10 hardware available. Don't forget DX10 isn't downwards compatible ...

Any hardware older than 3 years would no longer be supported if it didn't already get killed by one of the steps above. -> stupid too ... you're realy selfish mate.

Programs would be forced to store any information in the folder you give them, no more messing with MY C: partition. Delete the folder and the program is gone 100%. -> Now that'd be a positive point :d

Vista would have install options for IE, WMP, MSN ect. Those programs would not be embedded anywhere they would install like 3rd party software in their folder and I could tell them during the installation where. -> Even better, but IE is whether you want it or not, there are lots of crap-sites that won't work in any other browser. +windows help = IE based.

Any updates are available as file downloads, those downloads would be composed to update packs on quarterly basis. Windows update would work on FF. -> First one is already possible. Update packs not bad idea. FF support isn't important. If only they'd drop the damned validation

Features could be all found and configured in one place. -> control panel ?

There is a PRO option during install which guides you through all the features and gives an opportunity to leave them off the system when installing Vista (like the Firewall, crappy M$ Spyware software). -> Absolutely, +1 (I somehow hope that nlite will support Vista )

At the first launch, programs would ask if they are allowed to store any usage information in their folder (that includes Vista itself). -> has nothing to do with vista, this would require every program to be rewritten.

There is a KICKASS defrag program installed by default. -> They've already made a good start with the disk management, so next windows probably has a good defragger

*waits for the first person to say "when pigs fly"*
And I don't think you'd sell a lot of copies, since you rule out almost every computer configuration. PCIe only ? The only things available for PCIe are graphic cards and a handfull of NICs. Everything else is PCI ...
when pigs fly

Old 27th February 2007, 12:44   #6
Rutar

the reason why the switch goes so slow is because there is too much support for old hardware. That is not OK when you use 5 years to make a new OS.

Old 1st March 2007, 15:48   #7
Rutar

some evidence that Vista in its current form is not appealing to business clients:

http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38883

Old 1st March 2007, 15:54   #8
Madshrimp

old news
Vista makes people less efficient than XP did

but I don't agree, deployment of custom configs is really streamlined now and quick.
Old 1st March 2007, 17:01   #9
Rutar

I was more pointing at the comments than at the article.

Old 1st March 2007, 17:08   #10
Madshrimp

what business is buying Vista versions which need activation like that volume license all the way

some companies can be more dynamic than others in their OS choices, if you have none-IT users, you need to give OS training and add that to the cost. if you have IT aware users, you can let them do most of the IT legwork and save yourself some time and be up to date.

it all depends on which company, the needs, the people, etc.