It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
CPU heat issue - What's causing it? CPU heat issue - What's causing it?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CPU heat issue - What's causing it?
Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2005, 16:58   #1
fatelvis15

Default CPU heat issue - What's causing it?

Okay, sorry if this has already been adressed, but I'm having a major CPU heat issue. Ask we speak my temp on the CBOX is reading 58 and the only thing running is Explorer (and the systray, of course but nothing really earthshattering there either.)

I'm running XP Professional, have flashed the BIOS with version 8 and haven't attempted to overclock at all (other than what the board automatically does.)

I have a Prescott 3.2 800FSB cooled by Samurai Scythe using arctic silver 5 and my case temp is reading in the high 20s or low 30s. The mainboard is a Chaintech Zenith 9CJS. Any attempt at gaming sends my CPU temps through 70, which usually causes a hang. Also, windows is constantly having errors, although I just tried the updated BIOS and I've only had one since then.

Help? I'd like to use this system for what I built it for...fun!

Old 19th March 2005, 17:02   #2

Sidney Freshly Registered

Seems like you have S478, right? Because I think Samurai does not work with LGA775.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 19th March 2005, 17:40   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I had a mounting issue with the Samurai on my P4 boards...

@Lazymab: Chaintech 9CJS = S478

I would swap out the cooler
Old 19th March 2005, 17:51   #4

That's a HOT potato regardless.

After trying Samurai (my did not have the mounting issue, and I remember your (Jmke's) encounter), MCV478, XP-90, SLK-948, SLK-800U, Cooljag (highly rated @Frostytech) and Kamakaze, I settle with JMC Pheonex 70+ Chill Vent besides water cooling.

Have been using the setup since with 700 Mhz overclock.

Old 19th March 2005, 17:55   #5

Better have damn good case ventilation with your setup and make sure the temp you are reading is correct. May want to try using external temp probe to verify correct temperature; your system crash may not be temp related.

Old 20th March 2005, 01:09   #6
fatelvis15

Okay...

The board is a socket 478, not 775.

The cooler seems to be mounting just fine...it doesn't interfere with anything around it. I've taken it off, cleaned it and the processor's heat spreader, reapplyed the artic and remounted with no effect.

Case ventilation doesn't appear to be a huge issue right now since the case temps are seemingly normal. Originally I had all sorts of fans in there, but it sounded like a jet engine. I started disconnecting them one at a time and my case temp didn't really rise. It also sits under an open window with a cool breeze.

As for the system hangs - one is compatability related - frustrating but not too scary, but the other I'm certain is over temp. Any time the CBOX reads higher than 74 the computer is done. Funny colors, static, the whole bit. It resets and is fine. In fact, I've found I can actually play what ever I want as long as my ambient temps are in the low twenties. I used to just set the box outside on my porch but that's both a bummer and a pain.

As near as I can tell, the problem seems to be one of three things: Cooler ineffectiveness, CPU defect, Mobo defect.

Since the scythe sucks are through the cooling array rather than blowing down into it, is there any chance my PSU could be robbing the air for the cooler? Also, due to the placement of the main capactors, could hot air spilling off of these be being sucked through the cooler? I'm a little hesitant to sh_tcan the cooler since most reviews of it have been pretty favorable...

Old 20th March 2005, 01:26   #7

Have you read these articles before??

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...&articID=16 9

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...&articID=22 5

Old 20th March 2005, 03:40   #8
fatelvis15

No I hadn't, although I have now.

Even this site rated my cooler a good buy and found none of the contact problems with the ASUS on my board, so I'm a little puzzled on what you wanted me to see...

Closed Thread