It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Chaintech Zenith 9CJS - BIOS Updates Chaintech Zenith 9CJS - BIOS Updates
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chaintech Zenith 9CJS - BIOS Updates
Closed Thread

Old 10th April 2005, 21:45   #1
trebor1870

Default Chaintech Zenith 9CJS - BIOS Updates

Hi

Does anyone know how to update the BIOS on the 9CJS.

When i try to flash my BIOS I get the following message:

'The program file's BIOS-Lock String does not match your system.'

This is particularly frustrating as I have downloaded all the correct BIOS updates along with the Award Flash utility.

Without the BIOS updates I cannot get my copy of Windows XP Pro with SP2 to install thus basically having a machine that is just a piece of furniture.

Any help would be appreciated as trying to contact Chaintech is a waste of time as any request for help is just bouinced back

Cheers

Old 26th May 2005, 22:32   #2
Kerry

I'm not good at instructions but, press DEL key upon boot and in the BIOS settings make sure your boot order includes your floppy. It can be CD, floppy, HDD or Floppy, CD, HDD.

Assuming you've download the lasted BIOS V 8.0 (12/29/04) and Award Flash Utility V 8.24g af824g, unzip and copy-paste to a floppy.

Insert the floppy and then press start. Mine pops up the AW Utility window and presents a field "File Name to Program:" insert 9cjs0c29.bin (it may be .exe).

Another way that worked for me once was. Upon pressing your power on button at the first opportunity press Alt-F2 it will ask for you to insert your floppy containing the AW and BIOS files. Then you might have to enter A:\>af8249g.exe 9cjs0c29.bin

There is another way if you already have XP Pro installed and that is to bring up your Command Prompt.
Enter C:\>afg24g 9cjs0c29.bin.

You can accomplish the same thing by booting in Safe Mode.

The above is merely to give you some ideas or to point you in a new direction that you may not have tried before. The instructions may or may not be accurate.

Chaintech confirmed that once you upgrade your BIOS the splash screen upon boot will not reflect the correct version of Award Flash. Instead of version 8 mine reads version 6. But directly underneath that it will indicate that your BIOS is 12/29/04 which assures you that your upgrade was successful.

I've had terrible luck with Chaintech's help ticket form (chaintechTW.com,) their thwarting response-time coupled with their poor English comprehension and composition makes for a terribly frustrating ordeal for a novice. There has been no improvement over the past 12 months. Try support@chaintechusa.com they are much better.

Good luck,

Kerry

PS. I advise anyone to avoid the temptation to upgrade drivers (Intel, VIA, etc.) from places other than from Chaintech's website. Their drivers are tested and configured to work with XP Home/Pro and their boards.

Closed Thread