It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
Computer shutdown after changing heatsink Computer shutdown after changing heatsink
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer shutdown after changing heatsink
Closed Thread

Old 7th August 2006, 20:06   #1
Camara

Computer shutdown after changing heatsink

Hi, guys!

A couple of weeks ago I decided to switch my CPU heatsink 'cause the fan was making an awful noise (it's HOT were I live). Unfortunately, only as I was pinning the thing to the mobo did I notice that the base of the sink should be some 2 milimiters higher (or maybe 4 or 5 narrower...).
The base of the sink was pretty much ruined but the board seems undamaged even though the new sink was crushing the components around the CPU.
I had to put back the old sink (used Artict Silver Ceramique) but now the computer shuts itself down about a minute after it starts running. It's not overheating (BIOS said 28ºC) and I've been told it might have been static electricity from the sink that messed up the components.
So, basically, what I want now is a second opinion - could something else be wrong and can I fix it? Should I just try reinstalling the sink although it seems to be OK? Or will I really have to take the PC for repair?

My mobo - MS 915P Neo2 Platinum
My PSU - Chieftec ATX 1136H

Thanks in advance.

Old 7th August 2006, 20:30   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

what CPU heatsink do you currently have and which one did you try to install?
Old 8th August 2006, 10:33   #3
Camara

jmke - I had (have) a stock Intel heatsink and wanted to replace it with a Scythe Mine. I was careful with the measuring but it wasn't enough.

Old 8th August 2006, 10:49   #4
Madshrimp

did the Mine got blocked by components around the socket?

the stock intel is held onto the board with plastic push pins, no? did you remove the motherboard for the installation?

a bad contact can indeed shut your machine down, I had it happen here too
Old 8th August 2006, 11:27   #5
Camara

jmke - It "landed" on them, pressed them down. But it's such a minor diference in height I actually managed to pin it to the board. It was only when I noticed that one of the pins wasn't all that solid that I realized was was happening. By now the CPU cover had left quite an imprint on the copper.

Both sinks use pressure pins (for LGA 775). In fact, one of the reasons I chose the Mine was because it didn't require me to remove the motherboard - wich now, it seems, I have to do anyway if I am to check everything. My case is all plate behind the board so I can't see very well what happens to the pins...

Old 8th August 2006, 11:37   #6
Madshrimp

I would try to remove the motherboard and boot the PC outside of the case, if the system works fine there, you know it's because of a short circuit
Old 8th August 2006, 12:20   #7
Camara

*drumming up the courage to dismantle PC*

Well, I don't understand why that should make a diference but I suppose - since I'll have to remove the mobo - I can try that too.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 10th August 2006, 18:40   #8
Camara

Hi!
I did what you said and dismantled the PC last night. As it turned out it wasn't anything electrical - some of the pins of the sink weren't ALL the way down. The sink was firmly attached but not pressing hard enough to transfer heat properly, it seems.

Took me quite a bit to push the pins all the way. My thumb still hurts a little!

So much for an "easy" and "quick" installation...

Thanks for the help, man!

Now, to find a sink that DOES fit...

Closed Thread