It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
silent cooling of the northbridge of a Abit KR7A silent cooling of the northbridge of a Abit KR7A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

silent cooling of the northbridge of a Abit KR7A
Closed Thread

Old 16th March 2003, 21:22   #1
uni1313

Default silent cooling of the northbridge of a Abit KR7A

Hallo

I am trying to silence my system, I have installed a Zalman CNPS 6000-Cu and the most silent 80 mm papst fans and I have discovered that the tine little fan on the northbridge of my Abit KR7A makes a lot of noise. Does anyone have a solution?

Zalman had a special heatsink for the northbridge is it any good?
Should I replace the 40mm fan by a silent one, which one do you recommend?

Also I think that fan on my Abit mobo is fastened by 2 white plastic pins, can the heatsink and fan be removed easly, does anyone know if abit glues the heatsink to the chip?

I do not use my mobo for overclocking, silence is what I want. I will be replacing my Radeon 64 MB DDR Vivo with a Hercules 9700 Pro as it is equiped with a silent fan.

Thanks

Old 16th March 2003, 21:30   #2
quarantaine

the fan an the northbridge is not that system critical
so if you dont overclock , you can just remove it. (only the fan!)

Old 16th March 2003, 21:31   #3
TeuS

hi there

did that mod this week:
-zalman passive cooling, mounted with velcro screws. those crappy, standard springs don't press enough--> after attaching & removing for testing, the middle piece made barely contact with the NB
-stock 40mm fan of the KR7A mounted on top of it, but at 5V

mobo tray isn't mounted in my case, just on it's side (like a workbench) with 2 120mm's @5v blowing on it

@FSB 180+, the heatsink doesn't get really hot so it's okay

when removing stock hs/fan, be very careful: you have to press the end of those push pins together, and then pulle 'em out
mobo is 2nd handed, and one of the tips of one of those push-pins was b0rked. had lotsa trouble removing it, and I've made a scratch with a plier on the PCB; no circuits were harmed so it's working fine now

Old 16th March 2003, 21:35   #4
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by quarantaine
the fan an the northbridge is not that system critical
so if you dont overclock , you can just remove it. (only the fan!)
are you blonde?
you really think a tiny heatsink of 0.5cm high will cool the NB sufficiently? you even think abit would mount a powerful fan on it if it were useless??

Old 19th March 2003, 15:14   #5
quarantaine

Quote:
Originally posted by TeuS

are you blonde?
you really think a tiny heatsink of 0.5cm high will cool the NB sufficiently? you even think abit would mount a powerful fan on it if it were useless??
no , i'm not blonde
and on my epox there is no fan on it and it still works well.

as Abit is made for overclockers (i suppose) they cool it with a fan.
i really can't see the harm in removing the fan and just let the heatsink cool it.

also a fan of 1CFM doesn't makes the difference in my eyes.

kind regards

Old 19th March 2003, 15:20   #6
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by quarantaine

and on my epox there is no fan on it and it still works well.

as Abit is made for overclockers (i suppose) they cool it with a fan.
i really can't see the harm in removing the fan and just let the heatsink cool it.

also a fan of 1CFM doesn't makes the difference in my eyes.

kind regards
epox 8RD/GA+? keep in mind that heatsink is a *tiny* bit bigger then the one on the abit
besides, NB heatsink with 0CFM --> 1CFM is a bigerg difference then you would think

Old 19th March 2003, 15:32   #7
quarantaine

Quote:
Originally posted by TeuS

epox 8RD/GA+? keep in mind that heatsink is a *tiny* bit bigger then the one on the abit
besides, NB heatsink with 0CFM --> 1CFM is a bigerg difference then you would think
fyi :epox 8k3a+ on 166fsb (also a little HS)

but i'm not gonna argue with you, don't see the purpose when not oc'ing but hey, thats just a personal opinion.
you have probably way more experience then me when saying this.

Old 19th March 2003, 21:58   #8
uni1313

Well it seems that i will not have to replace the fan of my northbridge, I disconnected te fan of my ATI Radeon Videocard and the whining sound was gone. So I will have to replace the fan on my videocard. Does anyone have recommendations for a silent videocardfan for Radeon 64 MB DDR VIVO (AKA 7200). The card has no holes so Zalmans solution is not an options.

Soon I will be replacing this radeon with an Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro, Hercules claims it has a silent fan.

Old 19th March 2003, 22:11   #9
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

if you want to go "lowcost", change a socketA / socket7 cooler to fit your vidcard & place a silent 80mm fan on there!
Old 19th March 2003, 22:37   #10
uni1313

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
if you want to go "lowcost", change a socketA / socket7 cooler to fit your vidcard & place a silent 80mm fan on there!
I prefer to buy a 40 mm fan to replace te existing one. I have been searching on the rage3d forums and it seems the fanproblem is common for my videocard. Damned I paid 21 000 BEF when I bought the card more than 2 years ago and I want to continue using it in other systems but it needs to be silenced.

Any recommandations for a silent 40 mm fan?

Closed Thread