It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
chipset lapping chipset lapping
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

chipset lapping
Closed Thread

Old 26th October 2003, 00:01   #1
FreeStyler

Default chipset lapping

Has anyone have some personal experience with chipset lapping.
I've noticed that nForce chips aren't quite flat and that AS3's quality isn't that good when used to fill up larger gaps.

However I'm a bit reluctant to start sanding down my chips, for understandable reasons I hope
Both the NB and SB could use a job, the NB is quite big, but has more space around it, SB is pretty small and has much less room around it. I generally don't mind mixing electronics and water, but wet-sanding this is pushing even my limits.

So is it worth it? Since this would be the first thing to, quite literaly, destroy my warranty. Everything else is somewhat removable.
Anyone got any pointers from first hand exp? I read some articles about it, but I'm still a bit conservative here.

I'd finally like to get my PC working again by monday evening, my coolers are all available (titan CUV2AB on the NB and a zalman NB47J on the SB) but htis is the last thing I'm actually thinking about.

Old 26th October 2003, 00:14   #2

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered

I wouldn't do it...
if you actually have active cooling or decent cooling for northbridge and southbridge with as3, the difference in OC should be minimal or non-existant...
Old 26th October 2003, 11:31   #3
FreeStyler

It's just that AS has a tendency to dry up when it's applied between "larger" gaps.

Closed Thread