Water block fun: demonRed, the DIY water cooling setup

Cooling/Water Cooling by djivesp @ 2005-07-05

Guest writer djivesp shows us how he build a complete water cooling setup from scratch, using parts from his old Toyota, and making himself water blocks for CPU, northbridge and his NV6800LE, the last one features 3-barbs and packs quite a punch.

  • prev
  • Go to mainpage

Assembly & Result

Assembly: demonRed

Now came the assembly - itching to test the performance and most importantly my [lucky] fully unlocked NV6800le and whether it was still a graphics card - I did not fancy another paper weight at that point, after my ATI R9700 pro which I screwed up by accidentally swiping a Stanley blade through some track on the core :Z... (That was a lesson learnt, the hard way)

After I just managed to squash everything inside the funky and evil looking case and the glue dried in my plexi drive bay reservoir, the not so-tasty fan/rad sandwich was finished and the clips on the hoses were on, the system was powered up and I met my new (silent) beast...

Madshrimps (c)

So I called it “project demonRed”.

A lot of work has been done since that point, in the pursuit of better temps and system performance...

All the 6x 120mm fans were modded with 5mm red LED's, red UV die saw the water, the fans were silenced using the 7V mod...

Madshrimps (c)

Mmmmm...Silence after all

Madshrimps (c)

Later Developments

The Sandwich was split, PSU burnt out becoming a door-stop, more fans got added, 2 PSU are now sitting under the case - sharing the components, fan controller was added (which can’t cope with the load of 6x 120mm fans in parallel), my wireless card got 'modded' (lol) to stop my 6800 from being 'bent' upwards, 3rd reservoir was built (from a gutted PSU - believe it or not, +polystyrene inside +megaloads of silicone +foam +2 rolls of electrical tape around the outside, now needed to bend the drive cage outwards to fit the thing - hasn’t leaked yet :)...

Madshrimps (c)Madshrimps (c) Madshrimps (c)

PSU fuse was blown after some fan controller-short fireworks, a 40x2 LPT LCD screen was added (looks sweeeet!)... System was bled around 6 times - after each leak ( :/ ), blocks were re-seated, CPU block was lapped... motherboard volt-modded, 6800 bios volt-modded to the max +P1 heatsink was cut-up and added to the FET's + fan on top...

Madshrimps (c)Madshrimps (c) Madshrimps (c)

Many improvements achieved in the process :) - now loud as hell! Working on that...

  • So - the stats in the end :

    - CPU core - 2.10V (stock 1.65)
    - VGA core - 1.5V (stock 1.1V - I think)

    - CPU speed - 2511mhz (stock 1998mhz) (Athlon XP 2400+ Thoroughbred - multi-locked at 15x)
    - VGA speed - 435/895 (stock 300/700)

    All completely stable

  • Load CPU 50°C (idle 46°C)
  • Load VGA 55°C (idle 42°C)

    The water temp highly depends on ambient temperature of course, around 7°C delta (to ambient) on idle, 9°C on load.

    Madshrimps (c)

  • 3Dmark 03 - around 11000 (varied quite a bit)
  • Aquamark03 - ~53000
  • Sisoft Sandra 05 performance rating of PR3641 :)

    Madshrimps (c)Madshrimps (c)

    Currently in the making: a Peltier water-chiller - although now there isn’t much point: /...

    The final system needs a good tidy-up, once finished - should look even better than the previous set-up, I am writing this article during the making of the final rig.

    Now - someone give me a mobile 2600+ and let’s see what that can do at 2.10 volts ;)

    Thank you all for the inspiration and motivation and for reading, now go make some stuff!

    Ives aka djivesp signing off

    Questions/Comments: forum thread
    • prev
    • Go to mainpage