More blocks on the way. As I had more time in the workshop and wanted a complete WC solution, I thought to include a Northbridge block as well, which was very easy to make, as I did not want it to harm the rate of flow. Basically measured the mounting holes around a spare A7N8X-D, cut the block, drilled 2 holes where barbs were going to be and joined them together on the machining mill.
Next was the plexi design on a 2D design package, which was cut on the schools laser-cutter - like the CPU block. Darn thing wasted lots of plexi - burnt/slanted cuts, too shallow cuts etc...Why don’t they make manuals for those things!!!
Next comes the 6800 block. Now this beast will put out monster heat at the voltages I was planning to run so I took my time on this one. After having suggestions for a 3 barb design I thought to give it a try, as it sounds sensible - it seems like the pressure is reduced and cooling efficiency increases. So this last one needed to be very high-flow, yet large as possible surface area.
So learning from my previous mistakes I completed the block which had cuts length-wise which act as channels, afterwards I drilled some valleys in the top to make more surface area.
The sides were screwed in using 4mm Allen bolts, and all was sealed with silicone sealant and no glue. This block looked the best by far, the round shapes of the plexi top and the 3 barbs, brushed ally looked drool-worthy after all the effort put into it... I’m a proud owner of the only self-made 3-barb VGA block ever! (Correct me if I’m wrong)Mounting the VGA Block
The NV6800LE mounting holes not big enough - d'OH!
So ...I got out my Dremel equivalent and a small drill bit, a desk lamp and some patience as this could potentially screw up the card! The desk lamp was positioned to be reflected by the surface of the card, letting me see the PCB tracks running close to the holes I was about to drill very close to ... Half an hour's worth of neck-pain later, I had widened the holes as large as my bolts were and as large as the tracks let me, and using some motherboard stand-offs attached the block to my card - voila!