It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 Watt PSU Preview Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 Watt PSU Preview
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 Watt PSU Preview

Old 2nd August 2012, 09:01   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 Watt PSU Preview

Thortech ??? Like most of the Memory companies, GeIL is also making Power Supplies under the brand name Thortech.

The Thunderbolt 1200 is a high end powerfull 80+ gold, semi modular PSU. Only 160mm in length. So it's sounds like a real contender for all the well known high end powerful PSU's. Let's bring on the [M] testbench set-up and compare what the thunder god has to offer.

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000225/
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:54   #2

Teemto Fully Registered

Tsss child labor has been banned!
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:59   #3
Lesaonar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Mileschin View Post
Thortech ??? Like most of the Memory companies, GeIL is also making Power Supplies under the brand name Thortech.

The Thunderbolt 1200 is a high end powerfull 80+ gold, semi modular PSU. Only 160mm in length. So it's sounds like a real contender for all the well known high end powerful PSU's. Let's bring on the [M] testbench set-up and compare what the thunder god has to offer.
The actual testing methodology is laughable. Have you considered actually investing in a load testing unit? OC3D certainly has (just search for the Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 on youtube) and this PSU is one of the worst PSU's they've ever tested. It actually shuts itself down before it gets anywhere close to it's rated wattage. You do your readers no favours by using such shoddy testing methodology, especially when you end up recommending a PSU that can cause damage, due to the ripple issues, to the system it's used in.
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:28   #4

Teemto Fully Registered

Although a big shrimpy fan myself, having watched the video, I have to agree with Lesaonar.
I'm in the energy branch myself and like stated in the video, you don't test a PSU with a multimeter. You don't need a fancy adjustable load bench either. A couple of fixed loads - at the output rating you want to test - is enough. Most important will be the scope, even an old analog one will suffice (provided it's been properly calibrated).
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:03   #5
[M] Reviewer

As far as I know, Peter will also test the PSUs at a separate location where they have professional testing tools.
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:59   #6
Lesaonar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Mileschin View Post
As far as I know, Peter will also test the PSUs at a separate location where they have professional testing tools.
Which obviously should be done before a review is posted, let alone one that recommends a product that can damage someone's system. This was sloppy testing/reviewing and something I'd expect from someone with limited technical knowledge.
Old 3rd August 2012, 07:50   #7
[M] Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesaonar View Post
Which obviously should be done before a review is posted, let alone one that recommends a product that can damage someone's system. This was sloppy testing/reviewing and something I'd expect from someone with limited technical knowledge.
The product award has been currently removed and will be reinstated if the tests from the lab will be good.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:59   #8
Lesaonar

The entire review should be taken down until the unit's been tested properly. The review should never have been posted until the unit was tested properly. It's common knowledge that you cannot properly test a PSU for reliability without knowing how it performs under load, putting a supposed 1200w PSU under 426w load is not putting it under any serious load, as well as knowing what the ripple is on the various rails.

I reiterate, this was sloppy testing/reviewing and is completely misleading in it's findings.
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:20   #9
[M] Reviewer

petervandamned Freshly Registered

As we don't have a many K euro test unit here, we have to take them to a test lab. But we called this a Preview not a Review.

In the home situation what has been set up like a normal PC, I had no problems at all. Not sure why yours did.

Later the PSU will be tested at full max and then we add the articel from a pre to a re view.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:21   #10
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

we know Lesaonar, reason why you don't see a lot of PSU reviews from the last few years, http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/category/15 we don't have the required load testing gear in-house