It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > For Sale - LAN Parties - Other > Off-Topic Hangout
Torpedo Tom Boonen out of the Tour de France! Torpedo Tom Boonen out of the Tour de France!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Torpedo Tom Boonen out of the Tour de France!
Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2008, 19:07   #11
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
If the story sells ...
and let drugs + sport sell extremely well

Old 20th June 2008, 00:42   #12
Shogun

Tom Boonen is only a name known among cycling fans here in America. How is he perceived in his homeland? Is he on every sports magazine cover, headlines in the newspaper, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
Wow, a 26-year old has been caught using cocaine once, big deal. He has been tested ever since he started cycling, never ever been caught for anything. Once again, the press is blowing this up as if it was the biggest EPO-scandal of the century.
It's not the biggest scandal in cycling, but unless his drink truly was spiked, then he should have simply known better.

I am not sure why, when you can get tested year round, you would take the chance of using a recreational drug, even if you don't get suspended.

Old 20th June 2008, 06:53   #13
[M] Reviewer

Massman Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
Tom Boonen is only a name known among cycling fans here in America. How is he perceived in his homeland? Is he on every sports magazine cover, headlines in the newspaper, etc.?
He's a star, whatever he does, you can find it in the newspapers. He's considered to be a rolemodel for the young kids.

Quote:
It's not the biggest scandal in cycling, but unless his drink truly was spiked, then he should have simply known better.

I am not sure why, when you can get tested year round, you would take the chance of using a recreational drug, even if you don't get suspended.
If his drink was spiked, he would have reacted to the accusations, I guess. The only story I heard, was that his had a drink in a local café and he was set up by someone; hardly believable when the café he mentions was on the other side of the street of his usual café.

Why? He's 26y old, is famous and can afford him anything he wants. It's because he can. But again, I don't see why the media and every instance around him is making such a big deal out of it. They say Tom Boonen lost his credibility as a rolemodel because of the use of cocaine, but surely it's because the media makes a big deal out of this.
Old 20th June 2008, 07:20   #14
wutske

Quote:

If you get caught speeding, how stupid do you have to be to keep speeding ? He was so stupid to do it because he has the money to afford it, he doesn't care if he looses his drivers license for a while and has to pay a lot of money ...

Old 20th June 2008, 20:17   #15
Shogun

But his speeding issues are quite different from cocaine use, IMO.

I won't try and say I am a saint and have never used drugs in my past, but I am not considered a role model to thousands of young people across my country. Furthermore, I can't be suspended from working because of it...

Besides that, using drugs when you know you could be tested and kicked out of races seems like an irrational thing to do when you're a sports icon.

Oh, well... I am sure Cavendish, Hushovd and company are going to rack up a few extra wins now.

Old 22nd June 2008, 10:37   #16
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

But we are only human, and that you should never forget

Old 22nd June 2008, 11:04   #17
Shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
But we are only human, and that you should never forget
Fair enough!

Old 22nd June 2008, 11:13   #18
[M] Reviewer

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutske View Post
If you get caught speeding, how stupid do you have to be to keep speeding ? He was so stupid to do it because he has the money to afford it, he doesn't care if he looses his drivers license for a while and has to pay a lot of money ...
so what.
The NEED for speed, ring a bell?

sometimes you can't resist, I drive like an old man all week whjen working, but in the friggin weekend on a freeway, you think I don 120? It's a friggin difficult thing to keep 400bhp at 120 you know. So you're going 200-220 in an instant.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:57   #19
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

Flanders should get its own race track don't you think?

Old 22nd June 2008, 12:31   #20
[M] Reviewer

Massman Freshly Registered

Forgot about Zolder, Geoffrey?

http://www.circuit-zolder.be/en/