It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > For Sale - LAN Parties - Other > Off-Topic Hangout
The next 2,000 days The next 2,000 days
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The next 2,000 days
Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2005, 02:53   #1
[M] Reviewer

Sidney Freshly Registered
Default The next 2,000 days

June 16 2005; yesterday marked the 2000th day of year 2000.

I was using an Intel Celeron 1,000 MHz system with Win98 and 6 GB hard drive at the beginning of 2000. There was no heat issue and the heat-sink did not make any noise at all. My laptop, a Toshiba with K2 333 made more noise than my desktop. The sound of the modem could wake your neighbor, which was the loudest noise a PC made. Case fan was unnecessary. The only people making a lot of noise were AMD users.

Well, the peace of a quiet home had changed greatly in the last 2000 days. While processors are becoming smaller everything else has become bigger. For awhile I read people wouldn’t mind the loud sound from Delta fans for as long as they could overclock their processors to new high. Follow by others who re-define quiet as if there were no refrigerator, television sets, air-conditioning or forced air heating, microwave, cars driving by and the sound of children playing. The quest for 11-dBA fans becomes the hot selling pitch for the smart marketing folks. Despite the fact that most modern household in small city will have a sound saturation of >30dBA considering quiet; and >40dBA if living in big Cities.

Water Cooling was mostly endorsed by AMD users at the beginning and soon became a must for Intel Prescott users. When Heatsink has become more effective or matching low to mid range water cooling in Overclocking; quietness from water cooling took over as if it doesn’t use radiator cooling fan. Phase change excited the “true hobbyists” isolating them from the regular Joes in world record breaking attempts.

Games – I was playing Combat Simulator in the last 365 days of the millennium and it is still the game I enjoy playing 2000 days later. Technology development on Graphic card accelerated rapidly in the last 1,000 days as more people are into PC games. A trend that will likely to continue as people nowadays tend to stay home more so than going out. Perhaps, our way of living has changed with two working parents or single parent that outdoor activities like soccer/football/swimming/baseball; hiking, biking, camping etc became much time consuming. Internet is an easy way to spend the time even with your under wear on or without.

In the next 2000 days, “things” will change – not that processors will become bigger but with much less heat loss, where extra cooling becomes unnecessary. Together with new metallurgy will be developed to further enhance heat dissipation, the only sound you hear may well be your own breathing. By then, it will be too quiet for some that they may well be talking to themselves while starring at the screen; be careful not to talk too loud as voice recognition will take over keyboard and what you whisper to yourself may well be all over the world thru your friendly forum. A dedicated game box, the game consoles will take deeper root because it doesn’t require system upgrade to enjoy games with 60” LCD or TFT screen being in every household.

Hardware review sites will not be the same in the next 2,000 days. Current staffs will become older; likely in their 30’s and 40’s considered “old” by the new generation of enthusiasts. Some will take over Bill Gates, or CEO of Intel and AMD others will just be running around to support a family. Let’s hope the new generation be kind to the old.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 18th June 2005, 22:31   #2
Stone

As an "old" man myself (turned 40 this year) I also hope that they are kind to the "old farts" out there.

VERY good read.

Old 19th June 2005, 01:11   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

very nice read Lazyman!
Old 20th June 2005, 16:51   #4
[M] Reviewer

Sidney Freshly Registered

Thanks guys ...
And, as always thank you jmke for allowing the venting of opinions here at [M]

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Closed Thread