It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Antec Overture - Desktop Case Art Antec Overture - Desktop Case Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antec Overture - Desktop Case Art

Old 26th February 2004, 21:53   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Antec Overture - Desktop Case Art

Quote:
Antec tackles the desktop case market with their great looking Overture case. Ideally suited for sitting next to your hifi-set it has all the features to achieve this goal; Can the Overture score? Find out in this review!
http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=137
Old 28th February 2004, 16:44   #2
Unregistered

After reading about your heat issue with this case, I was wondering what the performance would be with a stock Intel cooling solution. Seem fair to judge a cases cooling based on stock parts before saying that there is a problem. Most HTPC setups aren't used for overclocking madness, or full time gaming. Just a thought.

Larry H.
Old 28th February 2004, 16:50   #3
Unregistered

I just bought an Overture this week and other than the looks, I'm not impressed. The Zalman CNPS7000 fits in the case but you can't put the lid on if you're using the fan bracket unless you force it which causes a nice distortion to the lid. I've been running mine with the lid off until I can figure out where to install more fans. I took 2 drive rails from my dragon case and epoxy'd them to a Thermaltake 92 mm fan and put it under the HDD since I couldn't use my Vantec 502 HDD coolers.
Old 28th February 2004, 19:18   #4
Unregistered

Hey just a thought, which way do the two installed fans blow (or suck?) The if the psu sucks and the one behind the hdd blows.. then all the cool air would come in through the psu.. flow through the case and go out behind the hdd's.. but if they have some other configuration... it may be why the case is heating up.
Old 28th February 2004, 20:09   #5
Unregistered

In my opinoin, having the power supply exhaust into the case is the cause of the high case tempritures. If the PS could be modded to exhaust out of the side panel and pull in air from the inside, the vents on the front of the case look good enough to supply fresh air, then case tems woul benefit. Also putting an intake fan or vent between the 5.25 and HD drive cages would be a good idea.
Old 28th February 2004, 21:06   #6
Madshrimp

good suggestions, I'm sure the cooling system can be improved of the Antec casing, 2 intake's at the front, 2 blowholes in the back would drop the casetemp considerably, and if you use low noise fans or temp controlled ones (like the current Antec 90mm that is already supplied) you can have a silent and well aired system.
Old 29th February 2004, 19:12   #7
AngrySunday

I guess you could turn the 90mm fan around and make it an intake and open the psu and turn that fan around as well.
Old 12th April 2004, 15:07   #8
Madshrimp

Rev 2 is out of this case.

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=antec_overture_1

Quote:
The Antec Overture is not meant to hold so many hot components. The 9800 Pro and processor really stressed this case to it's limits and showed how high the temps can get. As stated before I did not even try to run any games in this system in fear of my components life. After running this system under a full load on the CPU and removing the cover, the video cards heatsink was too hot to touch. I am sure if you run a cooler running CPU, or lower end video card, heat will not be as much of an issue. I am going to follow up on this review and make a few changes to the system to improve cooling. I plan to try reversing fans, adding a better cooler to the Radeon 9800 Pro and also using a better thermal paste on the processor. Hopefully I will be able to find some sort of happy medium to bring cooling bliss to this case.
still HOT HOT HOT.
Old 12th April 2004, 16:17   #9
Unregistered

I just bought the Antec Overture case, after reading good reviews for the Antec Sonata... and I thought it would be a good idea.

Boy was I wrong!!! this thing is a HEAT TRAP. I feel cheated by Antec. The rear fan is supposedly temp-controlled... but since the case is always HOT... it's meaningless. Also... I don't care if the PSU is quiet... you won't notice because of all the noise from the case fan and your CPU fan maxing out trying to cool with the 42dC hot air inside.

I bought one of those Pacsoft Turbine slot Exhaust fans, since there is no other place to put a fan... and the temp is more manageable but still hot.

THIS IS A FAULTY PRODUCT. I don't know how Antec could release this to market.
Old 12th April 2004, 16:18   #10
Unregistered

BTW, if anyone has any ideas to mod this case to make it cooler. Please post them here... I don't think COMPUSA will take the case back after I scratched it (dammit)...

Please post your ideas.
Thanks.

-GoodPresident