It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Will water cooled PC's become mainstream? Will water cooled PC's become mainstream?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will water cooled PC's become mainstream?
Poll: Which car would you choose?
Poll Options
Which car would you choose?

Old 22nd November 2004, 20:08   #11

Sidney Freshly Registered

Quote:
i think most people will start buying quiet pc with some sound damping material and 120mm low rpm fans + fanless psu.

Solution:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=208

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 22:04   #12
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I just swapped a DVDrom for a DVDrw in there, 2min job, took the chance to add a 120mm fan in the back, replacing the one in the front, it's even cooler now and less noise!
Old 23rd November 2004, 07:01   #13
Xploited Titan

Quote:
Originally posted by kristos
does distilled water become conductive after that it's been in your wc loop?
Yes, water start ionizing, which makes it conductive. Besides, distilled water is less good then demineralized water, as you still have minerals in it -> conductive.

Concerning the poll, I think it's gonna be in almost all computers, as it's better performing, more reliable, etc. then aircooling.

Of course, you won't be able to overclock with them, like the standard aircoolers. It will just cool enough for not having the computer crash...
Old 4th December 2004, 18:23   #14
kr15t0f

still no new poll?
Old 4th December 2004, 18:47   #15
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Old 4th December 2004, 18:49   #16
kr15t0f

out of inspiration?
Old 4th December 2004, 19:19   #17
Magnum_

I don't really think that watercooling will be the future. It has too many risks for people who don't know a thing about it, and it requests much more maintenance then aircooling (companies etc will not like it ).
Intel moving their pentium-M chips to the desktop, is a good sign. More (heat)efficient design and equal speed.
Old 22nd December 2004, 15:03   #18
Liquid3D

I believe water-cooling will become mainstream, but only for a short time (2-4years). I think PC's maker's and how they package their processor's will come to a fork in the road. As a very loose theory: lower-powered (consumption) chips will remain heat-pipe air-cooled in Notebooks, and Desktops will go H20. I also think a segment of budget PC's will also remain air-cooled.

I believe in three to five years there will be a breakthrough in "nano-technology" and at this point we are unable to predict the how's an why's, but it will change the nature of the microprocessor so heat is no longer a problem.
Old 22nd December 2004, 16:26   #19
TeuS

actually the procédé already went under the 100nm process so we're already using nano-technology. in an interview with the CEO of Intel, he said we would be moving step by step to a 5nm procédé. then we would hit a wall.

we're already over 20 years making the chips with the same process (baking silicon). I've once (long ago) read we'll come up with the magic new process that will make CPU's that use very little power.

I'm pretty sure watercooling will never become mainstream. look at the heatsinks the manufacturers are packaging their CPU's with: alu fins, copper base. full-copper heatsinks are simply too expensive to use. watercooling is several times more expensive, so I wouldn't hope for it.

Intel is pretty much a problem: their architecture isn't that great. remember calantak his overclocked PIV 3.0?
two years later Intel chips weren't much faster then they were back then. so they stuffed them with more cache. they were faster, but at the cost of power consumption and heat.

AMD are doing great with their 64 bit stuff. cool 'n quiet, that's the example set for good computing.

but after all: do most users really need CPU's that are tremendously faster?
Windows XP and office doesn't run THAT much faster. if you're playing games, the video card can be the bottleneck.
Old 22nd December 2004, 16:38   #20

Sidney Freshly Registered

In a nut shell, most of PC power has gone unused nowadays for everyday users. However, power leakage will be under controlled soon enough. It is mainly a costing factor.

Don't forget Intel's gross margin target is >55%. In another word they make $45 for every $100 CPU in sales.

Pushing the envelope in reaching the untouched territory is human nature.

As for AMD, let's hope they make good money or a good profit this year. They have been losing money for three straight years.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote