It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Why Macs Still Aren't Right for Most Businesses Why Macs Still Aren't Right for Most Businesses
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why Macs Still Aren't Right for Most Businesses

Old 3rd June 2008, 16:00   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Why Macs Still Aren't Right for Most Businesses

This one is for our local Mac Lover Thorgal: Yes, more businesses can now go to Macs - I would say they now make sense for maybe 20 companies out of 100, up from just 5 a few years back. But for the rest of us - particularly those that need basic computing and basic features - Apple is still more expensive and simply not worth the integration headaches for the average small shop.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/29/smal...small_biz.fsb/

Last edited by thorgal : 3rd June 2008 at 20:20. Reason: spelling error
jmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:18   #2
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Well J, you asked for it, this article is a piece of junk if ever I read one

First he starts to moan where the on-off switch is, or that he doesn't like the box, "see if I care". Then he goes on about the VPN trouble - so what's new, like it works out of the box on another PC. His web-based backup doesn't work... right... his business relies on web based backups now or what !? Get a real backup source please ! About the only thing worth mentioning from the first paragraph is the USB-ports : there are indeed too little, always have been... time to fix that Apple !

OK, on to the next one : the desktop is divided in quadrants ! OH PLEASE ! No it isn't, that's just a feature called "spaces" he set up, just turn it off, the same expanded desktops are available with the PC drivers and they are much more annoying than spaces... He is right about the mighty mouse though : I don't like it either, but it's hardly difficult to replace it with something different (about every mouse out there is supported by OSX). And then the time machine graphics, again, I can agree with him, as I too think the graphics are over the top, the feature itself though is the best backup implementation I ever came across... and that's what it's really about, isn't it.

OK, next... sorry, no there is no next, that's about all he had to say...

Next article I should say...

thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:21   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I found the content lacking too, he says "not for business" but hardly makes any business comparisons. Where's active directory comparison, file serving, user management, roaming profile?

next article indeed
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:21   #4
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

I agree completely. Timemachine is good looking and good working.

Like the quadrans part, he never worked with linux either I think.