| ||Thread Tools|
|27th March 2009, 17:45||#1|
Join Date: May 2002
When every student has a laptop, why run computer labs?
What's the point of running a university computer lab when all the students bring laptops anyway? That's a question that schools have been asking themselves as computer ownership rates among incoming freshmen routinely top 90 percent. Schools like the University of Virginia have concluded that the time has come to dismantle the community computer labs and put that money to more productive uses.
According to the school's Information Technology & Communication department, 3,117 freshmen enrolled in 2007, and 3,113 of them owned their own computer. Nearly all of the machines were laptops, with 72 percent running Windows and 26 percent running Mac OS X (six hardy souls ran Linux).
|27th March 2009, 23:28||#5|
I think the Uni in question is an outlier, 90% of the students at this University do NOT have a laptop, nowhere near that number.
|28th March 2009, 08:59||#6|
There are many reason why lab should stay:
1) software licensing is less complex (all managed by one person) and you don't have to force your students to buy software they'll only use for school purposes
2) Not everyone runs windows ...
3) wired lan is still beter as wifi (especialy at school where they cap us at 23kBps )
4) Not everyone wants to bring their laptop to school everyday (people who have to drive 12km on their bicycle know that laptops are back killers)
5) security and management; lab computers can be restricted in the software that can run, things students can do, etc ... if you have to prefer 20 laptops without virusscanners and filled with warez over 1 safe, managed lab computer students have to fight for, well, I'd know the answer
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Release notes for Vista SP1 - or things that will break your computer||jmke||WebNews||4||6th February 2008 13:03|
|Samsung SDI’s Fuel Cell lets laptop run for a month||jmke||WebNews||2||13th August 2007 15:34|
|10 Reasons Why It Doesn’t Pay To Be “The Computer Guy”||jmke||WebNews||2||4th May 2007 17:51|
|How to Buy a Cheap Laptop Computer||Sidney||WebNews||0||22nd February 2006 07:59|
|New laptop, student edition||Blue_Boy||General Madness - System Building Advice||8||2nd December 2005 12:12|
|Laptop or Desktop - which computer to choose?||jmke||WebNews||0||28th November 2005 23:19|
|Five Tips For Buying a Laptop Computer||Sidney||WebNews||1||13th July 2005 10:31|
|Preventing Laptop Computer Theft @ The Tech Zone||StaRflaM||WebNews||0||19th March 2005 15:16|
|Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop computer||Sidney||WebNews||0||11th February 2005 17:44|
|List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2||jmke||WebNews||1||17th August 2004 16:03|