It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Ultra HD TVs: Coming to a living room near you? Ultra HD TVs: Coming to a living room near you?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ultra HD TVs: Coming to a living room near you?

Old 6th November 2013, 14:03   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Ultra HD TVs: Coming to a living room near you?

Everyone is now eager to adopt the next TV technology which will enable crisper details for the photos, videos and so on, but the prices are still quite high for the mainstream user. There were studies done by analyzing the clicks, price trends and models of the 4K TVs throughout 2013 for seeing what future might hold for Ultra HD tech in UK.

As expected, more and more models have arrived to the market despite the fact that at the beginning of 2013 only a few SKUs were really for sale.

Regarding the price, we could see a slight drop compared to the situation at the beginning of the year, thanks to the increased competition in this market segment. Reduced price has also meant an increase in demand, which began in summer and continued throughout the third quarter.

It seems that people are reticent while buying a 4K TV also because the available content is quite small but it is expected to grow during 2014 and beyond.

http://www.idealo.co.uk/

Last edited by Stefan Mileschin : 7th November 2013 at 11:08.
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 16:23   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

For a 4k TV of 60" price is: $3000-4000
you have to sit closer than 2 meters from it to notice the difference between 4k and 1080p content.

for a 4k tv of 85" price is: ~$10000
here you have to sit closer than 3 meters.

In my home I sit ~3 meters away from my screen. I would need a screen bigger than 85" to see 4k detail. (or get a 4k projector, it will be cheaper $8000 http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-v...ojector_review )
Currently have a 42" Plasma, 720p, I could upgrade to a bigger screen with 1080p and see a difference.... and with bigger, I mean anything bigger than 42"

----
I just don't see 4k take off any time soon:
- screens are expensive
- difference with 1080p is only visible at very close range
- there's no 4k content , all the content you own is at best 1080p. Re-buying the same movies to get the BluRay 4k versions is ridiculous, they could have included 4K versions already on the discs, and downscale on older/less high end sets, but they want to milk customers for all their worth. Re-buying the same stuff over and over again. How long before LOTR 4K is released? Still own the DVD set, why pay for the same content?
- streaming media sources hardly support 1080p, don't see the infrastructure capable of 4 times the requirements the coming year(s).

as with 3D, the idea behind the technology is excellent, but the reason and driving factors to try and push people to buy is wrong.

for 3D to work it has to work without glasses
forget higher resolutions for TV at this time, go for 0 latency, vibrant colors and dark black values; combine LED and Plasma qualities and deliver us TVs where we see the image quality difference, not just resolution. As with digital camera's, more MPixel != better photos

the only area I see 4k strive is on desktop; finally 24-30" monitors with a resolution to match;

Last edited by jmke : 6th November 2013 at 16:30.
jmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 13:34   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

<$900 for a 55" 4K TV!
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771591000P :-o