It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
RIP DFI LanParty Motherboards RIP DFI LanParty Motherboards
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RIP DFI LanParty Motherboards

Old 3rd June 2010, 16:55   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default RIP DFI LanParty Motherboards

I finally contacted some other people associated/previously associated with DFI's LANParty group in Taipei, and arranged several meetings during Computex. Today, we finally got our answer: DFI told its LANParty team in 2009 there would be no more LANParty products. The division was losing money continually through 2009 and late in the year the sales team were told to clear their inventory before being moved to the far more profitable industrial division.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...over-for-dfi/2
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:56   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Oscar Wu "made" the LANparty brand for DFI, we saw some awesome OC boards sporting his BIOS files
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:13   #3
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Ouch, this really makes me a little sad, really enjoyed working with DFI in the past. Wonder what Oscar Wu will be doing in the future...

thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:10   #4
[M] Reviewer

Gamer Freshly Registered

Like you said, in the past.

When I used my first and last X58 based DFI, I had troubles getting used to it.
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:18   #5
[M] Reviewer

leeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registered

Think their biosses were too complicated and the board required massive tweaking to be as effective as an Asus board clock for clock...
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:21   #6
[M] Reviewer

Gamer Freshly Registered

Indeed, when I used the Classified the same day, I could overclock it 300 mhz higher with stock settings.
Old 4th June 2010, 03:29   #7
Kougar

Complex/complicated BIOS is fine, but they made a point to NOT explain the settings. Even common settings had unusual names as so were not understood. According to their own support rep, a DFI user is already supposed to know what they all mean, which is why the extremely thin manuals don't mention BIOS settings at all.

Had a rather absurd time trying to update a X58 DFI board to recognize a Core i7 930... early BIOS didn't recognize it. Not sure about other DFI boards, but that DFI had no BIOS option to update from a USB/HDD file, and the latest version of their own in-windows utility didn't work with the latest BIOS file for the board. Instead of fixing it they posted a work-around in Chinese. With product support and product service like that, 99% of the market is NOT going to want to buy their products.
Old 4th June 2010, 13:47   #8

blackened Fully Registeredblackened Fully Registeredblackened Fully Registeredblackened Fully Registeredblackened Fully Registeredblackened Fully Registeredblackened Fully Registeredblackened Fully Registered

When my old MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, nForce3 based motherboard died, I upgraded to a PCIex video card and got the LanParty NF4 Ultra-D board. It took me nearly 8hrs of tweaking, but I ended up with an extra ~150mhz out of my A64 3800+. I had had to use my friends laptop to look up what all the setting were as I did it.
blackened is offline   Reply With Quote