It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
OverdrivePC Gemini.SLI System Review OverdrivePC Gemini.SLI System Review
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OverdrivePC Gemini.SLI System Review

Old 8th February 2006, 00:25   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
OverdrivePC Gemini.SLI System Review

As many of you might know by now, HardOCP doesn’t "review" systems, we evaluate the experiences they facilitate. We order the system the same as you would and evaluate every aspect of the end-user experience. Not only does this give us a better idea of what hardware an end-user actually receives, it also allows us to obtain a more accurate picture of just how each company functions and treats its customers. As fast as PC hardware has become over the years, we think giving a personal computer "5 stars" based on how fast it ran a synthetic benchmark is simply irresponsible. We think service, support, and reliability are much more important factors in today's climate rather than speed. Fast is easily bought, but purchasing and ownership satisfaction can be elusive.
Old 8th February 2006, 02:04   #2

Sidney Freshly Registered

1) Lian Li should have put those two fans on the side panel and would have sold a lot more cases.
2) The two 120mm fans are there for attraction.
3) Highest score insodar from [H], the high price tag is warranted.
4) 24 hours Prime95 is key to system stability.

I don't know which of the above applies; none!

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 08:23   #3
Madshrimp

what I find striking is that the sales person tried to convince [H] to put 2x Raptor's in RAID-0 for OS , savegames and documents?

that's not smart
Old 12th February 2006, 19:35   #4
OPC|Mario

Hi guys...

Hey there. I spotted this thread when doing a Google search for Gemini.SLI and I just wanted to comment here. We always try to push 10,000RPM’s and/or RAID-0 for a (C) drive ‘only if’ there will be a (D) drive for data storage. In other words, we realize the risk of RAID-0 but allow for it to be implemented for the (C) drive in certain cases. If you read the review, you will see that Chris opted ‘away from’ a (D) drive so we in-turn decided for a non-RAID (C) with no data storage at all. We never ever risk data loss for a (C) drive knowing ahead of time that the customer is unprotected. I just want to make sure that this was not misunderstood as some folks missed the section about Chris’s choice away from a multi-drive system. When we were first configuring, I opted for a RAID-0 36GB array for (C) and a storage drive for (D) where ‘valuables’ would reside. We also did not press for twin 74GB’s (knowing they are faster than the 36’s) because this was a budget box as explained by Chris.

I hope this help clear up that we were not making an improper recommendation but rather that Chris moved away from our original 3-drive setup.

I hope all else with the review seemed great. We have put a tremendous amount of time and effort into Overdrive PC to bring Overclocking to the main stream (properly) as many of you enthusiasts would do yourself. This business is a real challenge to say the least when you ‘guarantee’ clock speeds for a purchased system.
Old 12th February 2006, 20:21   #5
Madshrimp

Default Re: Hi guys...

Quote:
Originally posted by OPC|Mario

I hope this help clear up that we were not making an improper recommendation but rather that Chris moved away from our original 3-drive setup.
Thank you for stopping by and clarifying the drive choice;

Does your alternate OS image also come with my documents and other user data (cookies; favorites, etc) redirected to the D:\ (none - raid) drive?
Old 12th February 2006, 20:31   #6
OPC|Mario

Default Re: Re: Hi guys...

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke

Thank you for stopping by and clarifying the drive choice;

Does your alternate OS image also come with my documents and other user data (cookies; favorites, etc) redirected to the D:\ (none - raid) drive?
This 'option' is offered during purchasing and is an easy attribute to the OS. We will glady tailor the OS to meet the customer's needs.
Old 12th February 2006, 20:32   #7
OPC|Mario

...we also include Tweak-XP to make it easier for the customer to move 'other' folders to (D) as well.
Old 12th February 2006, 20:34   #8
Madshrimp

thanks for the answers keep up the good work.
Old 12th February 2006, 20:54   #9
OPC|Mario

Thanks much. We seem to have really had a great 'acceptance' from a very tough audience. If there is ever anything you spot with our products, mission or direction that you think deviates from quality business model, please share your insight with us. We are ever-dedicated to the 'product' and many times our best ideas come from the community.

Talk to you soon.