It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
OpenOffice tests show it's progressively getting slower OpenOffice tests show it's progressively getting slower
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OpenOffice tests show it's progressively getting slower

Old 31st May 2008, 19:45   #1
Shogun

Default OpenOffice tests show it's progressively getting slower

Users wanting to break away from Microsoft Windows and Office have had little viable alternatives when looking for competing products. Many of those interested in something other than Microsoft Office have chosen the OpenOffice suite of software, which offers programs and services similar to Microsoft's software suite.

Each new release of Open Office offers a slew of performance improvements, but at the same time may bloat the software so it operates more slowly. Yesterday, the independent blog OpenOffice.org Ninja posted several benchmarks providing an analysis of the continuing decline of the speed of OO.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Open...wer/1212101280
Old 1st June 2008, 00:29   #2
FireTech

Default you are welcome to continue using older versions..

Interesting comment which begs the (rhetorical) question - why bother creating new versions?

As for the slowdown itself, it's probably not the kind of MS Office emulation they were intending to achieve...
Old 1st June 2008, 11:05   #3
Wolf2000me

I was expecting an Open Office breakthrough last year but I guess it's only going to keep on stagnating. Eventhough MS Office is not exactly getting better either.

One also doesn't use MS Office interfaces for F/OSS applications. Even worse when MS will stop supporting ODF in favour of OOXML...
Old 1st June 2008, 11:45   #4
FireTech

I thought MS recently announced that the next service pack for Office 2007 will contain ODF and other open format support?
Old 1st June 2008, 16:30   #5
wutske

I don't realy mind the worse performance, even tough I hardly notice it. I'm just curious how the performance is compared to MS Office 2007 and 2003, since these are the main competitors (and as long as it's better as the competition it doesn't realy matter if it's a bit slower as before).
Old 1st June 2008, 16:54   #6
Wolf2000me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTech View Post
I thought MS recently announced that the next service pack for Office 2007 will contain ODF and other open format support?
Sadly Outlook 2007 isn't even compatible with attachements from previous versions in some cases.

And you can bet on MS not including ODF support in all of their next versions of Office.
I'll believe ODF support when I see it.