It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Intel "Devil's Canyon" 9-series Chipset Exclusive? Intel "Devil's Canyon" 9-series Chipset Exclusive?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Intel "Devil's Canyon" 9-series Chipset Exclusive?

Old 2nd June 2014, 09:21   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Intel "Devil's Canyon" 9-series Chipset Exclusive?

Intel's next socket LGA1150 quad-core processors for overclockers, namely the Core i7-4790K and the Core i7-4690K, codenamed "Devil's Canyon," could be exclusive to motherboards based on the 9-series chipset. For overclockers, the choices would hence narrow down to motherboards based on the Z97 Express chipset. Marketing material distributed to retailers ahead of the processors' mid-June launch, mention "Devil's Canyon" to be supported by "new Intel 9 series chipset," while the same material detailing unlocked Pentium 20th Anniversary Edition mention it to be supported by "both Intel 8 and 9 series chipset."

Intel not mentioning that for "Devil's Canyon" is leading some to speculate that it won't be supported by motherboards running 8-series chipset, notably Z87 Express. For overclockers with expensive Z87 motherboards such as the ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, Gigabyte Z87X SOC, and MSI Z87 MPower MAX, this could spell trouble. Based on binned "Haswell Refresh" silicon, "Devil's Canyon" chips are special, in that they feature enhanced on-package electricals that can tolerate higher current; an enhanced thermal interface material between the die and the integrated heatspreader (IHS), enhanced LGA contact points, and increased voltage and thermal limits.

http://www.techpowerup.com/201474/in...exclusive.html
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote