It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Old 27th March 2006, 18:52   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Oblivion is the 4th major game of the massive RPG elder scrolls series, and as we've come to expect with Bethesda Softworks, it's a work of phenomenal beauty.

The quests are better than ever, the story is well thought out, the incredible graphics speak for themselves, and the game is more compelling than ever. Negatives? Well, I'll tell you one thing, it aint going to help your social life any.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/oblivion.ars
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/t...on/review.html
http://www.worthplaying.com/article....thread&order=0
Old 28th March 2006, 09:13   #2
SuAside

meh, dont be so fanboyish

first (random) impressions:

- dialog: wtf? does it REALLY matter what i say? i mean you could have dialog loops in FO, but in this game it hardly looks necessary to choose what you say, you end up at the same place anyway... (might not be true, but thats how it feels the first hour or so)

- loading times: people whine about this, but for me it loads so fast that i cant read the info on the loading screen ffs.. (as for 'outdoor' loading does not make me freeze or anything, i can just keep on running)

- skill increase: lollerball, hop around like a bunny -> skillup in acrobatcrap. fight a mob without hitting it & simply use block every time he tries to hit -> blocking leveling for the win. this is kinda true for all skills...

- faces: omfg... i take you all played Arcanum? well, all these mofos have been hit with the ugly stick for sure...

- interface: pure console port crap... didnt even bother to remap stuff for PC. very sad. it's 'mostly' logical, so it's not as bad as announced by the big critics, but i can see me getting irritated by it if i play it for a prolongued period of time. no description, so you have to try out everything to find out what exactly the spell does. (how am i supposed to know 'shock' requires to be in HtH range, unlike 'flare')

- inventory: no doll to pull things on diablo style, just a render of your char. click an item & it's equiped. however with armor it looks easy to forget to equip a small item. really isnt use friendly. the inventory is restricted by weight only, not size. this is fine, except you go from normal to immobilized for 1 pound of extra gear... cant move an inch.

- i'm also finding immersion nill in this game... cant take revenge on the other prisoner, everyone in the world knowing the emperor died when you just left the ****ing sewer (ok, the dagon lights or whatever go out, so the city knows, but how the **** does every peasant & hillbilly know?), the captain of the guard giving away his armor while his town is crawling with baddies (yeah, he's grateful, but still, sjeez), imperial guardsmen patrols SMELL that you are carrying stolen goods & take you to jail unless you can pay the fine... your actions are just so limited...

- ow yeah, the faces, did i mention this before? ofc it did! ... GOD! THE FACES... i dont care that much that they're ugly, or that their lips arent synched, BUT FOR ****S SAKE, DONT MAKE THE FACE SMILE BLISSFULLY (as if he just had a blowjob) WHEN HE'S PISSED OFF (at you & threathening to roast your nuts over the campfire) & DONT MAKE THE GUY LOOK SAD AS **** WHEN YOU JUST SAVED HIS PUPPY, HIS WIFE, HIS GRANDMA & HIS ****ING ASSDILDO FROM A BUNCH OF KIDNAPPERS...

- ragdoll: now, i like corpses falling in a 'lifelike' fashion instead of having them float in mid-air. however, when killing a mob on a slope full with vegatation i dont like to see it glide off until the bottom of the goddamn mountain. if it would tumble off, ok, i could live with it, even if the grass shouldve stopped him, but just slide off? bleh. there goes my loot!

i suppose this all isnt too bad if you dont have high expectations, however with a game hyped this hard, how cant you have high expectations...
Old 28th March 2006, 09:32   #3
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by SuAside
meh, dont be so fanboyish
the Ars article is not fanboyish at all in my humble opinion. quite honest actually
Old 29th March 2006, 15:45   #4
SuAside

"The quests are better than ever, the story is well thought out, the incredible graphics speak for themselves, and the game is more compelling than ever. Negatives? Well, I'll tell you one thing, it aint going to help your social life any."
thats kinda fanboyish imo, jmke

the game is full of gamestopping bugs on a CONSOLE for ****s sake. it's not an entire disaster for PC's since they can patch, but you'll have a lot of pissed off console jockeys.
Old 29th March 2006, 16:09   #5
Madshrimp

well; I can really add much valuable comments here; not really my kind of game.

in Morrowind I ended up killing every NPC I came across, in all cities... then I got bored
Old 29th March 2006, 16:21   #6

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered

I would play this kind of game, if I had one year off...
The Senile Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 16:24   #7
Madshrimp

or when you retire in a few years...
Old 31st March 2006, 08:46   #8
goingpostale1

Unlike some people I was just hoping for better then Morrowind 3. I thought it was a great game, apparently so do alot of other peopleif you check most reviews. Eh to each his own, IMO I wouldn't let the opionions of others stop anyone from trying this game if they dig RPGs.
Old 4th April 2006, 11:37   #9
SuAside

euhm, you should say "IMO I wouldn't let the opionions of others stop anyone from trying this game if they dig action and hack&slash games", not RPG.

i understand a lot of people get spoonfed wrong info by the media, but a stats system, a class system and leveling doesnt make an RPG.

if someone starts playing this game, in the expectation of playing a true RPG, he'll be disappointed. if he wants to play action/adventure meets hack&slash, he'll be moderately happy.

sadly, this game was marketed as the best RPG ever!!!!one!1
Old 4th April 2006, 11:45   #10
Madshrimp

I'm a noob, what makes a game into a RPG ?

do a check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_role-playing_game

where does Oblivion not fit the description?