It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Editorial: Gaming laptops are a complete joke Editorial: Gaming laptops are a complete joke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Editorial: Gaming laptops are a complete joke

Old 17th July 2007, 16:32   #11
[M] Reviewer

Gamer Freshly Registered

I can play DOOM 3 on my laptop you know
Check out my score's on hwbot with this laptop, it's already more than a year old, and will last for a long time still.
BF2142 on high and AA8 AF 8 on, still 60+ fps without slowdowns.
Your € 750 system will have to be overclocked to beat it
Old 17th July 2007, 16:34   #12
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

overclocking the E2160 has been very challenging indeed, reaching only 3ghz with a €90 CPU, what a let down and not forget that most games don't give a rats *** about the CPU, C2D OC'ed to 2.4Ghz is more than fast enough for all current games.

it would be a damn shame if your laptop couldn't run Doom 3, which is more than 3 years old now. Battlefield 2 is easy on GFX, didn't you know? http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...&articID=5 23

What GFX was that? 7950 GTX? No way you'll run next gen games with max details, let alone medium detail! Geforce 8800 GTX already struggles with R6 (Unreal 3 engine) at 1600x1200 noAA!
That €750 gets a €350 VGA card boost and be able to play the latest games AND still be cheaper than your laptop!

come back to me when you tried Rainbow Six Las Vegas Max detail 1600x1200 , or when Crysis and Gears of War hit the market, then we'll talk

Why exactly did you buy that laptop anyway? you don't do LANs and you don't take it to work

Last edited by jmke : 17th July 2007 at 16:40.
jmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 18:33   #13
Kougar

Does your €750 system let you use it while on the road? On an airplane? While waiting at an airport for 6 hours? During and between your classes while on college campus for the entire day? It is certainly not as easy to pack and move to hotel rooms, and you still need to pack and PROTECT that monitor too. Your €750 system will never work in those scenarios.

I expect a laptop to be slower than an equivalent desktop. That is also not the point of this, just as "value" is not the point. Mobility while keeping the same functionality I wish to have in a desktop while I am on the go is the point. No cube/shuttle/qpack or similar desktop can do this.
Old 17th July 2007, 19:04   #14
Rutar

my post got ignored

Any halfway decent laptop will let you browse the net and play movies, but as soon as you want to game things get ugly.
Old 17th July 2007, 19:12   #15

Sidney Freshly Registered

When I worked for people, all my laptops were free (company issued) because laptops are for lazy employees who do work during the 8 hour-day. So, they have to take the work home.

Today, you don't even need to haul the laptop back and forth from work and home. We have large capacity thumb drive

Okay, I have both laptop and desktop. I use them both depending on the situation. Why? It is because I "think" I need them both. Looking to get an iPhone too

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 19:54   #16
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutar View Post
my post got ignored
not by me, just doesn't apply to me, don't need laptop for portability, don't need it for "on the plane", when I travel I tend to not way to be around a PC and enjoy holidays